Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q
AbstractDespite increasing anecdotal evidence that information technology (IT) assets contribute to firm performance and future growth potential of firms, the empirical results relating IT investments to firm performance measures have been equivocal. However, the bulk of the studies have relied exclusively on accounting-based measures of firm performance, which largely tend to ignore IT's contribution to performance dimensions such as strategic flexibility and intangible value. In this paper, we use Tobin's q, a financial market-based measure of firm performance and examine the association between IT investments and firm q values, after controlling for a variety of industry factors and firm-specific variables. The results based on data from 1988--1993 indicate that, in all of the five years, the inclusion of the IT expenditure variable in the model increased the variance explained in q significantly. The results also showed that, for all five years, IT investments had a significantly positive association with Tobin's q value. Our results are consistent with the notion that IT contributes to a firm's future performance potential, which a forward-looking measure such as the q is better able to capture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
information technology and firm performance; business value of information technology; information technology and Tobin's q ratio; information technology and intangible value;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumas, 2007. "How do intangible assets create economic value? an application to banks," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0730, Banco de Espa�a.
- Chen-Lung Chin & Picheng Lee & Hsin-Yi Chi & Asokan Anandarajan, 2006. "Patent Citation, R&D Spillover, and Tobin's Q: Evidence from Taiwan Semiconductor Industry," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Chen, Yueh H. & Lin, Winston T., 2009. "Analyzing the relationships between information technology, inputs substitution and national characteristics based on CES stochastic frontier production models," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 552-569, August.
- Kim, Sung Min & Mahoney, Joseph T., 2008. "Resource Co-specialization, Firm Growth, and Organizational Performance: An Empirical Analysis of Organizational Restructuring and IT Implementations," Working Papers 08-0107, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Sriram, Ven & Stump, Rodney, 2004. "Information technology investments in purchasing: an empirical investigation of communications, relationship and performance outcomes," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 41-55, February.
- Marina A. Oskolkova & Petr A. Parshakov, 2013. "Company intangibles: creation vs absorption," HSE Working papers WP BRP 25/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Li, Gang & Yang, Hongjiao & Sun, Linyan & Sohal, Amrik S., 2009. "The impact of IT implementation on supply chain integration and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 125-138, July.
- Swafford, Patricia M. & Ghosh, Soumen & Murthy, Nagesh, 2008. "Achieving supply chain agility through IT integration and flexibility," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 288-297, December.
- Cannon, Alan R., 2008. "Inventory improvement and financial performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 581-593, October.
- Tzeng, Shiou-Fen & Chen, Wun-Hwa & Pai, Fan-Yun, 2008. "Evaluating the business value of RFID: Evidence from five case studies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 601-613, April.
- Lin, Winston T. & Chiang, Chung-Yean, 2011. "The impacts of country characteristics upon the value of information technology as measured by productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 13-33, July.
- Juul Andersen, Torben, 2005. "The performance effect of computer-mediated communication and decentralized strategic decision making," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1059-1067, August.
- Guido Schryen, 2010. "Preserving Knowledge on IS Business Value," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 233-244, August.
- Mouri, Nacef & Sarkar, M.B. & Frye, Melissa, 2012. "Alliance portfolios and shareholder value in post-IPO firms: The moderating roles of portfolio structure and firm-level uncertainty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 355-371.
- Chari, Murali D.R. & Devaraj, Sarv & David, Parthiban, 2007. "International diversification and firm performance: Role of information technology investments," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 184-197, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.