Asymmetric Effects of Economic Freedom on International Trade Flows
AbstractWe employ a gravity equation to estimate the effects of economic freedom on U.S. consumer exports and imports for the years 1999 and 2000. Using the newly updated Fraser Institute¡¦s Economic Freedom of the World Index, we find that increased economic freedom in the rest of the world would increase the overall U.S. trade volume. We also consider whether imports and exports are affected asymmetrically with respect to income, transaction costs, and economic freedom. We find considerable differences in how these variables affect imports and exports of consumer goods. Our results also give some insight into how economic freedom might affect the U.S. trade position.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan in its journal International Journal of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
gravity model; trade flows; trade balance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- repec:cto:journl:v:18:y:1998:i:2:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- Anderson, James E, 1985. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas: The Cheese Case," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 178-90, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001.
"Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W. Kenn Farr & Richard A. Lord & J. Larry Wolfenbarger, 1998. "Economic Freedom, Political Freedom, and Economic Well-Being: A Causality Analysis," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 18(2), pages 247-262, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James R. Markusen & Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Using the gravity equation to differentiate among alternative theories of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 430-447, May.
- de Haan, Jakob & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 2000.
"On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 215-241, June.
- Haan, Jakob de & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 1999. "On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth," CCSO Working Papers 199903, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Holger C. Wolf, 2000. "Intranational Home Bias In Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 555-563, November.
- Jac C. Heckelman, 2002. "On the Measurement of Comparative Economic Freedom across Nations," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(3), pages 251-261, December.
- Craig Depken, 2004. "Market structure and ad valorem taxes: cross-country evidence from the magazine industry," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(8), pages 477-481.
- Francois, Joseph & Manchin, Miriam, 2007.
"Institutions, infrastructure, and trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4152, The World Bank.
- Joseph F. Francois & Miriam Manchin, 2007. "Institutions, infrastructure, and trade," Economics working papers 2007-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph Francois & Miriam Manchin, 2007. "Institutions, Infrastructure, and Trade," IIDE Discussion Papers 20070401, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Joseph Francois & Miriam Manchin, 2007. "Institutions, Infrastructure, and Trade," Working Papers 77, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Joseph Francois & Miriam Manchin, 2007. "Institutions, Infrastructure and Trade," Development Working Papers 224, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Francois, Joseph & Manchin, Miriam, 2007. "Institutions, Infrastructure and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 6068, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009.
"Behind the Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence,"
6709, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009. "Behind-the-Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence," Working Paper Series 209, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Imre Ferto & Stefan Bojnec, 2012. "EU Enlargement and Agro-Food Export Performance on EU Market Segments," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1206, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012.
"The Dynamics of Offshoring and Institutions,"
Working Paper Series
919, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Nabil Chaherli & John Nash, 2013. "Agricultural Exports from Latin America and the Caribbean : Harnessing Trade to Feed the World and Promote Development," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16048, The World Bank.
- Söderlund, Bengt & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012. "Dynamic Effects of Institutions on Firm-Level Exports," Ratio Working Papers 184, The Ratio Institute.
- Tingvall, Patrik, 2011. "Dynamic Effects of Corruption on Offshoring," Ratio Working Papers 182, The Ratio Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jui-Fen Lin).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.