Exploring sectoral elasticity vis-�-vis per worker income with a focus to agriculture: a study of Sub-Saharan Africa
AbstractIn this study, we explore the contribution from sectoral share towards per worker income in the Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) region over the years, 1980 to 2009. Within the last three decades, agriculture and services did not contribute positively towards growth in per worker income. Manufacturing sector on the other hand, had a transcending effect with a positive contributory power (0.31%) towards the long-run growth and sustainability of the region. Therefore, 'targeted sub-sectoral' policy reforms to strengthen backward-forward integration of agriculture and services sectors with manufacturing operations whilst taking into account the historical diversity of the region are vital matters for development and growth discourse in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal African J. of Economic and Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==382
agriculture; manufacturing; services; economic growth; ARDL bounds approach; Sub-Saharan Africa; SSA; sectoral elasticity; worker income; sustainability; sustainable development.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T.K. Jayaraman & Chee-Keong Choong & Ronald Ravinesh Kumar, 2012. "Role of remittances in India's economic growth," Global Business and Economics Review, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 14(3), pages 159-177.
- T. K. Jayaraman & Chee-Keong Choong & Ronald Kumar, 2010. "CASE STUDY: Role of remittances in Tongan economy," Migration Letters, Transnational Press London, UK, vol. 7(2), pages 224-230, October.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2011.
"Agriculture and development : a brief review of the literature,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5553, The World Bank.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2012. "Agriculture and development: A brief review of the literature," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-205.
- Amartya Sen, 1999. "The Possibility of Social Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 349-378, June.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2008.
"Estimates of the Steady State Growth Rates for Selected Asian Countries with an Extended Solow Model,"
9724, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Jul 2008.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2010. "Estimates of the steady state growth rates for selected Asian countries with an extended Solow model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 46-53, January.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008.
"Understanding South Africa's economic puzzles ,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(4), pages 769-797, October.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "Understanding South Africa's Economic Puzzles," CEPR Discussion Papers 5907, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006. "Understanding South Africa's Economic Puzzles," Working Papers id:641, eSocialSciences.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006. "Understanding South Africa's Economic Puzzles," NBER Working Papers 12565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2009.
"Peter Bauer and the Failure of Foreign Aid,"
Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 29(3), pages 379-390, Fall.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2005.
"Growth, Technological Interdependence and Spatial Externalities - Theory and Evidence,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p651, European Regional Science Association.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2007. "Growth, technological interdependence and spatial externalities: theory and evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 1033-1062.
- ERTUR, Cem & KOCH, Wilfried, 2005. "Growth, Technological Interdependence and Spatial Externalities: Theory and Evidence," LEG - Document de travail - Economie 2005-03, LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Douglas Gollin & Stephen Parente & Richard Rogerson, 2002.
"The Role of Agriculture in Development,"
Center for Development Economics
2002-09, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2002.
"A Policy Agenda For Pro Poor Agricultural Growth,"
ADU Working Papers
10923, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 2008. "The roles of electricity and ICT in economic growth: Case Finland," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 270-287, July.
- Gollin, Douglas, 2010. "Agricultural Productivity and Economic Growth," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Stefan Dercon, 2009.
"Rural Poverty: Old Challenges in New Contexts,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, April.
- Richard Tiffin & Xavier Irz, 2006. "Is agriculture the engine of growth?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 79-89, 07.
- Alberto Alesina, 2003. "Joseph Schumpeter Lecture: The Size of Countries: Does it Matter?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 301-316, 04/05.
- Paul Mosley, 2002. "The African green revolution as a pro-poor policy instrument," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 695-724.
- T.K. Jayaraman & Chee-Keong Choong & Ronald Kumar, 2011. "Role of remittances in small Pacific Island economies: an empirical study of Fiji," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(5), pages 526-542.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Restuccia, Diego & Yang, Dennis Tao & Zhu, Xiaodong, 2008.
"Agriculture and aggregate productivity: A quantitative cross-country analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 234-250, March.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2007. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers e07-3, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2003. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers diegor-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1999. "Why Has Africa Grown Slowly?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "Some Theoretical Aspects of Agricultural Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(1), pages 43-60, January.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Hopkins, Jane & Kelly , Valerie & Hazell, P. B. R. & McKenna, Anna A. & Gruhn, Peter & Hojjati, Behjat & Sil, Jayashree & Courbois, Claude, 1998. "Agricultural growth linkages in Sub-Saharan Africa:," Research reports 107, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- P. T. Bauer, 1955. "The Economic Development of Nigeria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 398.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 2002. "Agriculture and economic development," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 29, pages 1487-1546 Elsevier.
- P. T. Bauer, 1956. "The Economic Development of Nigeria: A Reply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 435.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.