The Role of Inflation Expectations in the New EU Member States: Consumer Survey Based Results
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to analyze the link between inflation expectations and actual inflation in the New EU Member States (NMS). To achieve this goal, the results of a qualitative consumer survey were transformed into a quantitative measure of inflation expectations using the Carlson-Parkin approach. Afterwards, small-scale VAR models capturing actual inflation and inflation expectations were produced. Both the survey data and the quantified values of inflation expectations confirm that inflation expectations increased substantially prior to the NMS accession to the EU (in the case of Slovenia prior to accession to the EMU), with the expected inflation rate surging notably above the observed price increases. The findings of the VAR models indicate that inflation expectations have a positive impact on actual inflation in almost all the NMS; however, the potential problems of omitted variables and short sample period reduce the significance of this result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 07-08 (Oktober)
inflation expectations; survey data; VAR model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paloviita , Maritta & Virén , Matti, 2005.
"The role of expectations in the inflation process in the euro area,"
Research Discussion Papers
6/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Maritta Paloviita & Matti Virén, 2005. "The role of expectations in the inflation process in the euro area," Macroeconomics 0508031, EconWPA.
- Maritta Paloviita, 2006.
"Inflation Dynamics in the Euro Area and the Role of Expectations,"
Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 847-860, November.
- Paloviita , Maritta, 2002. "Inflation dynamics in the euro area and the role of expectations," Research Discussion Papers 20/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Batchelor, Roy A & Orr, Adrian B, 1988. "Inflation Expectations Revisited," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(219), pages 317-31, August.
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism in the euro area: more evidence from VAR analysis," Working Paper Series 0091, European Central Bank.
- Frommel, Michael & Schobert, Franziska, 2006. "Exchange rate regimes in Central and East European countries: Deeds vs. words," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 467-483, September.
- Magnus Forsells & Geoff Kenny, 2004. "Survey Expectations, Rationality and the Dynamics of Euro Area Inflation," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2004(1), pages 13-41.
- Jan Marc Berk, 1999. "Measuring inflation expectations: a survey data approach," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1467-1480.
- Mojon, Benoît & Peersman, Gert, 2001. "A VAR description of the effects of monetary policy in the individual countries of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0092, European Central Bank.
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-38, May.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Daina Paula, 2007. "Inflation Expectations in Latvia: Consumer Survey Based Results," Working Papers 2007/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Lyziak, Tomasz, 2003. "Consumer inflation expectations in Poland," Working Paper Series 0287, European Central Bank.
- Magdalena Szyszko, 2013.
"The interdependences of central bank’s forecasts and inflation expectations of consumers,"
Bank i Kredyt,
National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 44(1), pages 33-66.
- Magdalena Szyszko, 2011. "The interdependences of central bank’s forecasts and economic agents inflation expectations.Empirical study," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 105, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Péter Gábriel, 2010. "Household inflation expectations and inflation dynamics," MNB Working Papers 2010/12, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.