Race, Ethnicity, and Baseball Card Prices: A Replication, Correction, and Extension of Hewitt, MuÃ±oz, Oliver, and Regoli
AbstractUsing a sample of all-time great baseball players, we investigate the effects of career performance, card quality and availability, and player race and ethnicity on baseball card prices. We estimate various specifications of the card price equations used by Hewitt, MuÃ±oz, Oliver, and Regoli (2005). We discover numerous discrepancies between the data reported in their article and their cited data sources. We replicate their results using their reported data and verify that their finding of no effect of race on card prices holds after corrections of data errors. Using their parsimonious metric of player performance, our extensions show that neither race nor Hispanic ethnicity has a significant effect on card prices and that our results are robust to alternative price and card availability measures. We also improve the ability of the Hewitt et al model to explain card prices when we use price and availability data that are more precisely matched to categories of card quality. This paper is accompanied by a supplement that provides a thorough guide to our statistical analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Race and ethnicity; baseball card prices; measurement error; model specification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Ling He & Joseph McGarrity, 2004. "Data errors in small data sets can determine empirical findings," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 89-99, June.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226041162, 01-2013.
- Andersen, Torben & La Croix, Sumner J, 1991. "Customer Racial Discrimination in Major League Baseball," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 665-77, October.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- Jason A. Winfree, 2010. "Issues With Replicating Results in Sports Economics," Journal of Sports Economics, , , vol. 11(1), pages 48-59, February.
- Edward M. Scahill, 2005. "A Reinvestigation of Racial Discrimination and Baseball Cards," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 537-550, Fall.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Ziliak, Stephen T. & McCloskey, Deirdre N., 2004. "Size matters: the standard error of regressions in the American Economic Review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 527-546, November.
- Stephen T. Ziliak & Deirdre N. McCloskey, 2004. "Size Matters: The Standard Error of Regressions in the American Economic Review," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 1(2), pages 331-358, August.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Rodney Fort & Andrew Gill, 2000. "Race and Ethnicity Assessment in Baseball Card Markets," Journal of Sports Economics, , , vol. 1(1), pages 21-38, February.
- Kahn, Lawrence M, 1991. "Customer Discrimination and Affirmative Action," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 555-71, July.
- Gabriel, Paul E & Johnson, Curtis & Stanton, Timothy J, 1995. "An Examination of Customer Racial Discrimination in the Market for Baseball Memorabilia," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(2), pages 215-30, April.
- Nardinelli, Clark & Simon, Curtis, 1990. "Customer Racial Discrimination in the Market for Memorabilia: The Case of Baseball," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 575-95, August.
- Paul Gabriel & Curtis Johnson & Timothy Stanton, 1999. "Customer racial discrimination for baseball memorabilia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1331-1335.
- Robert MuÃ±oz, Jr., 2012. "Beyond Race Cards in Americaâ€™s Pastime: An Appreciative Reply to Findlay and Santos," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 9(2), pages 141-148, May.
- Race, Ethnicity, and Baseball Card Prices: A Replication, Correction, and Extension of Hewitt, Muñoz, Oliver, and Regoli (EJW 2012) in ReplicationWiki
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.