Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis
AbstractThe 'market internal' effects of airline deregulation have amply been analysed in the literature. The economic evaluation of this policy change has generally shown favourable outcomes in terms of consumer welfare. These welfare effects may be termed market internal effects, as they reflect the welfare consequences of transactions that take place in the market. However, aviation typically affects welfare through both market internal and external effects: these external effects usually take the form of external costs resulting from aircraft noise, emission of pollutants and accidents. This is true for both regulated and deregulated markets, but the importance of the external costs relative to the welfare total is likely to differ between regulatory regimes. This article seeks to analyze how the presence of external costs affects the welfare effect of the liberalization of airline markets. As the size of external costs in an airline market is largely determined by the number of landings and take-offs, a spatial competition model that explicitly determines the frequency choice by airlines in symmetric equilibria is the basis of the analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 37 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Symmetric equilibrium existence and optimality in differentiated product markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 178-194, February.
- Giovanni Nero, 1998. "Spatial multiproduct pricing: empirical evidence on intra-European duopoly airline markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 465-475.
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Product variety and welfare under tough and soft pricing regimes," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1201, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Panzar, John C, 1979. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Unregulated Airline Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 92-95, May.
- Norman, Victor D & Strandenes, Siri Pettersen, 1990.
"Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Victor D. Norman & Siri Strandenes, 1994. "Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 85-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Norman, V.D. & Strandenes, S.P., 1990. "Deregulation Of Scandinavian Airlines - A Case Study Of The Oslo-Stockholm Route," Papers 04-90, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Raubitschek, Ruth S, 1987. "A Model of Product Proliferation with Multiproduct Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3), pages 269-79, March.
- repec:fth:banfra:25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 2002. "European Airline Reform: An Empirical Welfare Analysis," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 189-209, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1987. "Competition and Collusion in the American Automobile Industry: The 1955 Price War," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 457-82, June.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford, 1990. "The Dynamics of Airline Pricing and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 389-93, May.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Raquel Girvin, 2006.
"Airport Noise Regulation, Airline Service Quality, and Social Welfare,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1820, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Girvin, Raquel, 2008. "Airport noise regulation, airline service quality, and social welfare," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 19-37, January.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Raquel Girvin, 2006. "Airport Noise Regulation, Airline Service Quality, and Social Welfare," Working Papers 060706, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Dan Luo, 2013. "Measuring Strategic Firm Interaction in Product-Quality Choices: The Case of Airline Flight Frequency," CESifo Working Paper Series 4066, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2006.
"Airline Schedule Competition: Product-Quality Choice in a Duopoly Model,"
050629, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2006. "Airline Schedule Competition: Product-Quality Choice in a Duopoly Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 1731, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ishii, Ryosuke & Nakagawa, Kuninori, 2011. "An effect of consumer's earlier decision to purchase a discount ticket," ãã¸ãã¹åµé ã»ã³ã¿ã¼ãã£ã¹ã«ãã·ã§ã³ã»ãã¼ãã¼ (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) 10252/4502, Otaru University of Commerce.
- Mark Lijesen & Peter Nijkamp & Eric Pels, 2005. "The Home Carrier Advantage in Civil Aviation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-011/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007. "Frequency competition and environmental costs: An application to European air transport liberalization," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 208-223, September.
- Zou, Bo & Hansen, Mark, 2012. "Flight delays, capacity investment and social welfare under air transport supply-demand equilibrium," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 965-980.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.