Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route
In: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy
AbstractThe paper develops a numerical simulation model to assess the possible consequences of competition on inter-Scandinavian air routes, using the Oslo-Stockholm route as a case. In the model, demand for air transportation depends on the price and frequency, reflecting consumer preferences for travel and for time of departure. Initially, the market is taken to be an SAS monopoly, so the model is calibrated to estimates of prices and costs, data for demand, and to the first-order conditions for a monopolist. The model is then used to simulate symmetric, non-cooperative many-firm equilibria, described as a simultaneous Bertrand equilibrium in pricing and Cournot equilibrium in the number of flights offered. The simulation experiments indicate very substantial efficiency gains from competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number 8677.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Norman, V.D. & Strandenes, S.P., 1990. "Deregulation Of Scandinavian Airlines - A Case Study Of The Oslo-Stockholm Route," Papers, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration- 04-90, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Norman, Victor D & Strandenes, Siri Pettersen, 1990. "Deregulation of Scandinavian Airlines: A Case Study of the Oslo-Stockholm Route," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2008.
"Domestic Rivalry and Export Performances: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets,"
CIG Working Papers, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG)
SP II 2008-12, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Anming Zhang, 2009. "Domestic rivalry and export performance: theory and evidence from international airline markets," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 440-468, May.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "Domestic Rivalry and Export Performance: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 225, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Clougherty, Joseph A & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "Domestic Rivalry and Export Performance: Theory and Evidence from International Airline Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007. "Frequency competition and environmental costs: An application to European air transport liberalization," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 208-223, September.
- Wei, Wenbin & Hansen, Mark, 2006. "An aggregate demand model for air passenger traffic in the hub-and-spoke network," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 841-851, December.
- Carlsson, Fredrik, 2002. "Price and Frequency Choice under Monopoly and Competition in Aviation Markets," Working Papers in Economics, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics 71, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2006. "Evidence on Imperfect Competition and Strategic Trade Theory," Staff Paper Series, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics 498, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Wang, Shinn-Shyr, 2003. "Imperfect Competition And Strategic Trade Theory: What Have We Learned," Working Papers, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium 14589, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Youdi Schipper & Piet Rietveld & Peter Nijkamp, 1998. "Deregulation and Schedule Competition in Simple Airline Networks," ERSA conference papers ersa98p205, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.