European Airline Reform: An Empirical Welfare Analysis
AbstractThis study empirically explores welfare effects associated with bilateral airline liberalisation on European interstate routes. To this end, a sample of 34 routes with varying liberalisation status has been investigated econometrically for the period 1988 to 1992. The estimated fare and frequency equations show that standard economy fares are lower and departure frequencies are higher on fully liberalised routes than on routes without such liberalisation. Welfare calculations based on the estimated demand equation indicate that full bilateral liberalisation has resulted in consumer welfare gains. © The London School of Economics and the University of Bath 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010.
"Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance," Working Papers 2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," IREA Working Papers 201123, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2003. "Airline deregulation and external costs: a welfare analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 699-718, September.
- Devriendt, Lomme & Burghouwt, Guillaume & Derudder, Ben & de Wit, Jaap & Witlox, Frank, 2009. "Calculating load factors for the transatlantic airline market using supply and demand data â€“ A note on the identification of gaps in the available airline statistics," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 337-343.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Working Papers 2072/179624, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 702-714.
- Schipper, Youdi & Rietveld, Piet & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007. "Frequency competition and environmental costs: An application to European air transport liberalization," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 208-223, September.
- Ofelia Betancor & Juan Luis JimÃƒÂ©nez, 2011. "When trains go faster than planes: the strategic reaction of airlines in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa11p295, European Regional Science Association.
- Maria J. Gil-Molto & Claudio A. Piga, 2005.
"Entry and Exit in a Liberalised Market,"
Discussion Paper Series
2005_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised May 2006.
- Carlsson, Fredrik, 2002. "Price and Frequency Choice under Monopoly and Competition in Aviation Markets," Working Papers in Economics 71, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.