International linkage of the Russian market and the Russian financial crisis: A multivariate GARCH analysis
AbstractThis study considers the linkage of the Russian equity market to the world market, examining the international transmission of the Russia's 1998 financial crisis utilizing the GARCH-BEKK model proposed by Engle and Kroner [Engle, R.F., Kroner, K.F., 1995. Multivariate simultaneous generalized ARCH. Economet. Theor. 11, 122-150]. We find evidence of direct linkage between the Russian equity market with regards to returns and volatility, while the weakness of the linkage suggests that the Russian equity market was only partially integrated into the world market. At the time of the crisis, evidence of contagion is clear.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Multivariate GARCH Volatility spillovers Russian financial crisis Contagion Partial integration;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- King, Mervyn A & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Transmission of Volatility between Stock Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 5-33.
- Feridun, Mete, 2004. "Russian Financial Crisis of 1998: An Econometric Investigation," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(4), pages 113-122.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"Contagion and Trade: Why are Currency Crises Regional,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K., 1999. "Contagion and trade: Why are currency crises regional?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 603-617, August.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Contagion and Trade: Why Are Currency Crises Regional?," NBER Working Papers 6806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Contagion and trade: why are currency crises regional?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 98-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Taimur Baig, 1999.
"Financial market contagion in the Asian crisis,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
400, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Morris Goldstein, 1998.
"Asian Financial Crisis: Causes, Cures and Systemic Implications, The,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa55, July.
- Morris Goldstein, 1998. "Asian Financial Crisis: Causes, Cures and Systemic Implications, The," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa55, November.
- Steven Riess Weisbrod & Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez, 1995. "Financial Fragilities in Latin America," IMF Occasional Papers 132, International Monetary Fund.
- Ranil Salgado & Luca Antonio Ricci & Francesco Caramazza, 2000. "Trade and Financial Contagion in Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 00/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Masson, Paul, 1999. "Contagion:: macroeconomic models with multiple equilibria," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 587-602, August.
- Kristin Forbes, 2000. "The Asian Flu and Russian Virus: Firm-level Evidence on How Crises are Transmitted Internationally," NBER Working Papers 7807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu BussiÃ¨re, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 99/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ratna Sahay & Gaston Gelos, 2000.
"Financial Market Spillovers in Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
00/71, International Monetary Fund.
- R. Gaston Gelos & Ratna Sahay, 2001. "Financial market spillovers in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 53-86, March.
- Dungey, Mardi & Fry, Renee & Gonzalez-Hermosillo, Brenda & Martin, Vance L., 2007. "Contagion in global equity markets in 1998: The effects of the Russian and LTCM crises," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 155-174, August.
- Saleem, Kashif & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008. "Pricing of global and local sources of risk in Russian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 40-56, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, October.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Gabriela Inchauste & Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano, 2003. "Argentina," IMF Working Papers 03/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2003. "Contagion and causality: an empirical investigation of four Asian crisis episodes," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Nikitas Pittis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2006. "Volatility transmission and financial crises," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 376-390, September.
- Renée Fry-McKibbin & Cody Hsiao & Chrismin Tang, 2014. "Contagion and Global Financial Crises: Lessons from Nine Crisis Episodes," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 521-570, July.
- Christos Kollias & Stephanos Papadamou & Costas Siriopoulos, 2013. "European Markets’ Reactions to Exogenous Shocks: A High Frequency Data Analysis of the 2005 London Bombings," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(4), pages 154-167, November.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.