Multi-criterion models for higher education administration
AbstractDuring the past two and a half decades, there has been a steady growth in the number of methods for assisting decision making with multiple objectives. These methods, generally known as multiple criteria decision making (MCDM) methods, have found their applications in a number of areas. Specifically, this paper provides a survey of the reported applications of MCDM methods in higher education administration. Articles appearing since 1972 are analysed and classified according to the primary purpose of the application. It is observed that resource allocation has been the most significant reason for MCDM applications in higher education administration, followed by planning, evaluation and other purposes. Further, this review shows that future research can be focused on the area of scheduling (particularly timetabling) development. The other research possibility is the usage of MCDM models at the federal and state government administration levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Ray Canterbery, 1984. "Introduction," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(1), pages 4-6, October.
- Davey, Anne & Olson, David & Wallenius, Jyrki, 1994. "The process of multiattribute decision making: A case study of selecting applicants for a Ph.D. program," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 469-484, February.
- Doyle, J & Green, R, 1993. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 713-715, November.
- Mulvey, John M., 1982. "A classroom/time assignment model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 64-70, January.
- Beasley, J. E., 1990. "Comparing university departments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-183.
- Mingers, J. & O'Brien, F. A., 1995. "Creating student groups with similar characteristics: A heuristic approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 313-321, June.
- White, Gregory P, 1987. "The implementation of management science in higher education administration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 283-290.
- Sang M. Lee & Edward R. Clayton, 1972. "A Goal Programming Model for Academic Resource Allocation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(8), pages B395-B408, April.
- Current, John & Marsh, Michael, 1993. "Multiobjective transportation network design and routing problems: Taxonomy and annotation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 4-19, February.
- Zanakis, SH & Kara, A & Sahay, S & Sivasubramaniam, N, 1991. "An analytic evaluation of microcomputer educational OR/MS Software," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 639-649.
- Gustave J. Rath, 1968. "Management Science in University Operation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(6), pages B373-B384, February.
- Albright, S. Christian, 1975. "Allocation of research grants to university research proposals," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 189-195, October.
- Donald A. Wehrung & David S. P. Hopkins & William F. Massy, 1978. "Interactive Preference Optimization for University Administrators," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(6), pages 599-611, February.
- Soyibo, Adedoyin & Lee, Sang M., 1986. "A multiobjective planning model for university resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 168-178, October.
- van Huylenbroeck, G., 1995. "The conflict analysis method: bridging the gap between ELECTRE, PROMETHEE and ORESTE," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 490-502, May.
- Ceylan, Demet & Saatcioglu, Omer & Sepil, Canan, 1994. "An algorithm for the committee construction problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 60-69, August.
- A. Walters & J. Mangold & E. G. P. Haran, 1976. "A Comprehensive Planning Model for Long-Range Academic Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(7), pages 727-738, March.
- David S. P. Hopkins & Jean-Claude Larréché & William F. Massy, 1977. "Constrained Optimization of a University Administrator's Preference Function," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 365-377, December.
- Stewart, TJ, 1992. "A critical survey on the status of multiple criteria decision making theory and practice," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 569-586.
- Stewart, TJ, 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making: A response," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 205-206, March.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Roger G. Schroeder, 1973. "A Survey of Management Science in University Operations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 895-906, April.
- Lootsma, F. A., 1980. "Saaty's priority theory and the nomination of a senior professor in operations Research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 380-388, June.
- Cheung, Yan-Leung, 1994. "Categorical criteria values: Correspondence analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 371-380, July.
- Larry Ritzman & John Bradford & Robert Jacobs, 1979. "A Multiple Objective Approach to Space Planning for Academic Facilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 895-906, September.
- A. M. Geoffrion & J. S. Dyer & A. Feinberg, 1972. "An Interactive Approach for Multi-Criterion Optimization, with an Application to the Operation of an Academic Department," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 357-368, December.
- Arbel, Ami, 1983. "A university budget problem: a priority-based approach," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 181-189.
- Gerald W. Evans, 1984. "An Overview of Techniques for Solving Multiobjective Mathematical Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(11), pages 1268-1282, November.
- James S. Dyer & Peter C. Fishburn & Ralph E. Steuer & Jyrki Wallenius & Stanley Zionts, 1992. "Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Theory: The Next Ten Years," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(5), pages 645-654, May.
- Swenson, PA & McCahon, CS, 1991. "A MADM justification of a budget reduction decision," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 539-548.
- Caballero, R. & Galache, T. & Gomez, T. & Molina, J. & Torrico, A., 2001. "Efficient assignment of financial resources within a university system. Study of the University of Malaga," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 298-309, January.
- Tangian, Andranik, 2004. "Redistribution of university budgets with respect to the status quo," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 409-428, September.
- Fandel, Gunter & Gal, Tomas, 2001. "Redistribution of funds for teaching and research among universities: The case of North Rhine-Westphalia," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 111-120, April.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing, 2001. "Evaluating airline competitiveness using multiattribute decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 405-415, October.
- Saber, Hussein M. & Ghosh, Jay B., 2001. "Assigning students to academic majors," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 513-523, December.
- Caballero Fernández, R. & González Lozano, M. & Molina Luque, J. & Castrodeza Chamorro, C. & Peña García, T., 2000. "Análisis multiobjetivo de las necesidades docentes de los departamentos universitarios: una aplicación a la Universidad de Valladolid," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 15, pages 29-45, Agosto.
- Caballero, Rafael & Galache, Teodoro & Gomez, Trinidad & Molina, Julian & Torrico, Angel, 2004. "Budgetary allocations and efficiency in the human resources policy of a university following multiple criteria," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-74, February.
- Meløn, Mønica García & Aragonés Beltran, Pablo & Carmen González Cruz, M., 2008. "An AHP-based evaluation procedure for Innovative Educational Projects: A face-to-face vs. computer-mediated case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 754-765, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.