Comparing university departments
AbstractIn this paper we present a quantitative model for comparing university departments concerned with the same discipline. This model is based upon ideas drawn from data envelopment analysis. Computational results are given for chemistry and physics departments in the United Kingdom.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 18 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Tyagi, Preeti & Yadav, Shiv Prasad & Singh, S.P., 2009. "Relative performance of academic departments using DEA with sensitivity analysis," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 168-177, May.
- Homburg, Carsten, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to benchmark activities," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 51-58, August.
- Post, Thierry & Spronk, Jaap, 1999. "Performance benchmarking using interactive data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 472-487, June.
- Shimshak, Daniel G. & Lenard, Melanie L. & Klimberg, Ronald K., 2009. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis of nursing home performance: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 672-685, June.
- Francisco Pedraja & Javier Salinas & Peter Smith, 1994. "La restricciÃ³n de las ponderaciones en el anÃ¡lisis envolvente de datos: una fÃ³rmula para mejorar la evaluaciÃ³n de la eficiencia," Investigaciones Economicas, FundaciÃ³n SEPI, FundaciÃ³n SEPI, vol. 18(2), pages 365-380, May.
- JimÃ©nez, Fernando & Zabala Iturriagagoitia, Jon Mikel & ZofÃo, JosÃ© Luis, 2007. "Efficiency in Public Research Centers: Evaluating the Spanish Food Technology Program," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/04, Universidad AutÃ³noma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Carlo Salerno, 2006. "Using Data Envelopment Analysis to Improve Estimates of Higher Education Institution's Per-student Education Costs," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 281-295.
- Johnes, Jill & Yu, Li, 2008.
"Measuring the research performance of Chinese higher education institutions using data envelopment analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 679-696, December.
- J Johnes & L Yu, 2006. "Measuring the research performance of Chinese higher education institutions using data envelopment analysis," Working Papers 577428, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Tzeremes, Nickolaos & Halkos, George, 2010. "A DEA approach for measuring university departments’ efficiency," MPRA Paper 24029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kao, Chiang & Lin, Pei-Huang, 2011. "Qualitative factors in data envelopment analysis: A fuzzy number approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 586-593, June.
- AT Flegg & DO Allen & K Field & TW Thurlow, 2003. "Measuring the Efficiency and Productivity of British Universities: An Application of DEA and the Malmquist Approach," Working Papers 0304, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Kuo, Jenn-Shyong & Ho, Yi-Cheng, 2008. "The cost efficiency impact of the university operation fund on public universities in Taiwan," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 603-612, October.
- Mirhedayatian, Seyed Mostafa & Azadi, Majid & Farzipoor Saen, Reza, 2014. "A novel network data envelopment analysis model for evaluating green supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 147(PB), pages 544-554.
- Keirstead, James, 2013. "Benchmarking urban energy efficiency in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 575-587.
- Martín Rivero, Raquel, 2007. "La eficiencia productiva en el ámbito universitario: aspectos claves para su evaluación/The Productive Efficiency in the University: Key Aspects for its Evaluation," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 793-812, Diciembre.
- Gimenez, Victor M. & Martinez, Jose Luis, 2006. "Cost efficiency in the university: A departmental evaluation model," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 543-553, October.
- Lee, Ki-Hoon & Farzipoor Saen, Reza, 2012. "Measuring corporate sustainability management: A data envelopment analysis approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 219-226.
- Mustafa, A. & Goh, M., 1996. "Multi-criterion models for higher education administration," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 167-178, April.
- Ying Chu Ng & Sung Ko Li, 2000. "Measuring the Research Performance of Chinese Higher Education Institutions: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 139-156.
- Forsund,F.R., 1999. "Efficiency and productivity of Norwegian colleges," Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics 11/1999, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Berna Haktanirlar Ulutas, 2011. "Assessing the Relative Performance of University Departments: Teaching vs. Research," Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal, Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 13(1), pages 125-138, Special I.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.