Capital mobility and the effectiveness of fiscal policy in open economies
AbstractThis paper uses a dynamic general equilibrium two-country optimizing Ãânew-open economy macroeconomicsÃâ model to analyze the consequences of international capital mobility for the effectiveness of fiscal policy. Conventional wisdom suggests that higher capital mobility diminishes the effectiveness of fiscal policy. The model laid out in this paper provides an example that a higher degree of capital mobility can also increase the effectiveness of fiscal policy. This tends to be the case if the stance of monetary policy can be described by means of a simple monetary policy rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622617
Other versions of this item:
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2003. "Capital Mobility and the Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy in Open Economies," Kiel Working Papers 1164, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum & Edward Nelson, 2000.
"Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model,"
NBER Working Papers
6675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T. & Nelson, Edward, 1999. "Nominal income targeting in an open-economy optimizing model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 553-578, June.
- McCallum, Bennett T. & Nelson, Edward, 1998. "Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model," Seminar Papers 644, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- McCallum, B.T. & Nelson, E., 1998. "Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model," Papers 644, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Kent P. Kimbrough, 1985. "Capital Controls and Fiscal Policy in the World Economy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 743-65, November.
- Klein, Paul, 2000. "Using the generalized Schur form to solve a multivariate linear rational expectations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1405-1423, September.
- Jeff Fuhrer & George Moore, 1993.
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2000.
"European Inflation Dynamics,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0020, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & López-Salido, J David, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carl Walsh, 2001.
"Speed Limit Policies: The Output Gap and Optimal Monetary Policy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
609, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carl Walsh, 2003. "Speed Limit Policies: The Output Gap and Optimal Monetary Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 265-278, March.
- Paul Hallwood & Ronald MacDonald, 2008. "International Money and Finance," Working papers 2008-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1996. " Financial Market Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 521-39, December.
- Koenig, Gilbert & Zeyneloglu, Irem, 2010. "When does financial integration matter for fiscal policy in a currency union? A welfare-based approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 620-630, May.
- Giovanni Ganelli & Juha Tervala, 2007.
"Public Infrastructures, Public Consumption, and Welfare in a New-Open-Economy-Macro Model,"
IMF Working Papers
07/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Ganelli, Giovanni & Tervala, Juha, 2010. "Public infrastructures, public consumption, and welfare in a new-open-economy-macro model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 827-837, September.
- Ganelli , Giovanni & Tervala, Juha, 2009. "Public infrastructures, public consumption and welfare in a new open economy macro model," Research Discussion Papers 8/2009, Bank of Finland.
- Alper Çenesiz, M. & Pierdzioch, Christian, 2009. "Efficiency wages, financial market integration, and the fiscal multiplier," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 853-867, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.