When does financial integration matter for fiscal policy in a currency union? A welfare-based approach
AbstractWe use a two-country new open economy macroeconomics model describing a currency union with imperfect financial integration. We assume that household preferences are biased towards the goods produced within the country. We use this setup to show how the degree of financial integration and the home bias affect the welfare efficiency of fiscal policy. This is particularly important for the implications of a fiscal policy launched by a member of the euro zone where the home bias is in a decreasing trend due to higher goods market integration and where there are explicit efforts to enhance financial integration. The results show in particular how the effects of an increasing financial integration on the impact of a fiscal policy can be mitigated or amplified by a decreasing home-product bias. Moreover, under certain conditions, the degree of financial integration has no effect on the welfare efficiency of fiscal policy despite its non-negligible effects on the components of welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 27 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
New open economy macroeconomics Fiscal policy Financial integration Home bias;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2002.
"Financial Market Integration and Business Cycle Volatility in a Monetary Union,"
Kiel Working Papers
1115, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2004. "Financial Market Integration And Business Cycle Volatility In A Monetary Union," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(3), pages 422-442, 08.
- Caselli, Paola, 2001. "Fiscal consolidation under fixed exchange rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 425-450, March.
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2003.
"Capital Mobility and the Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy in Open Economies,"
Kiel Working Papers
1164, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Pierdzioch, Christian, 2004. "Capital mobility and the effectiveness of fiscal policy in open economies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 465-479, September.
- Senay, Ozge, 1998. "The Effects of Goods and Financial Market Integration on Macroeconomic Volatility," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 39-61, Supplemen.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1987. "The Mundell-Fleming Model a Quarter Century Later: A Unified Exposition," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 567-620, December.
- Francis E. Warnock, 1998. "Idiosyncratic tastes in a two-country optimizing model: implications ; of a standard presumption," International Finance Discussion Papers 631, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martine Carré & Fabrice Collard, 1999.
"Monetary Union : A Welfare Based Approach,"
99-62, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Martine Carre & Fabrice Collard, 2000. "Monetary Union: A Welfare Based Approach," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0526, Econometric Society.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1996. " Financial Market Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 521-39, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.