On the Japanese Yen-U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate: A Structural Econometric Model Based on Real Interest Differentials
AbstractIn this paper the short- and long-run movements of the Japanese yen-US dollar exchange rate are modelled for the recent floating period. The modern general-to-specific approach is used as our econometric framework. In contrast to some other exchange rate studies, we interpret multiple cointegrating vectors using economic theory. Among the findings are sensible and significant long-run relationships, and dynamic equations which describe the movements of the exchange rate and satisfy a battery of diagnostic tests. The models are shown to produce good in-sample forecasting performance and also out-of-sample forecasting performance which dominates a random walk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of the Japanese and International Economies.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903
Other versions of this item:
- MacDonald, Ronald, 1997. "On the Japanese Yen-US Dollar Exchange Rate: A Structural Econometric Model Based on Real Interest Differentials," CEPR Discussion Papers 1639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Njuguna S. Ndung'U & Rose W. Ngugi, 1999. "Adjustment and liberalization in Kenya: the financial and foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 465-491.
- Gunther Schnabl, 2004.
"Weak Economy and Strong Currency - The Origins of the Strong Yen in the 1990s,"
- Gunther Schnabl, 2001. "Weak Economy and Strong Currency: The Origins of the Strong Yen in the 1990s," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(4), pages 489-503.
- Schnabl, Gunther, 2001. "Weak economy and strong currency: The origins of the strong yen in the 1990's," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 218, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Shehu Usman Rano, Aliyu, 2007.
"Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Nigeria,"
10376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shehu Usman Rano, Aliyu, 2008. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Nigeria," MPRA Paper 10343, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Plakandaras, Vasilios & Papadimitriou, Theophilos & Gogas, Periklis, 2012. "Directional forecasting in financial time series using support vector machines: The USD/Euro exchange rate," DUTH Research Papers in Economics 5-2012, Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Economics.
- Shehu Usman Rano Aliyu, 2010.
"Exchange rate volatility and export trade in Nigeria: an empirical investigation,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(13), pages 1071-1084.
- Aliyu, Shehu Usman Rano, 2008. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Export Trade in Nigeria: An Empirical Investigation," MPRA Paper 13490, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Feb 2009.
- Dimitris Hatzinikolaou & Metodey Polasek, 2005. "The commodity-currency view of the Australian dollar: A multivariate cointegration approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 81-99, May.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2003. "Asymmetric effects of monetary indicators on the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 143-159, April.
- Dieter M. Urban, 2007.
"Terms of Trade, Catch-up, and Home Market Effect: The Example of Japan,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2164, CESifo Group Munich.
- Urban, Dieter M., 2007. "Terms of trade, catch-up, and home-market effect: The example of Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 470-488, December.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of the Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Botswana," IMF Working Papers 06/140, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.