Short-Run and Long-Run Expectationss of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate
AbstractThe survey data on the yen/dollar exchange rate, collected twice a month for eight years from 1985 to 1993, shows the following features. First, the expected exchange rate changes in the short horizon (one month) are of the band-wagon type while the expected changes in the long horizon (three to six months) are of the mean- reversion type. That is, foreign exchange traders infer from recent appreciations or depreciation that the recent change in the exchange rate will continue for a while, but the direction of changes will reverse, eventually. Second, this result is robust for the entire sample period, which includes sub-periods of sharp yen appreciations and of relative calm, and with respect to different specifications. Third, the deviation from an equilibrium exchange rate does not yield a robust estimate in the regression of expectation formation. Although the history of the yen/dollar exchange rate fluctuations in the past two decades shows mean reversion over several years, they are not captured in the six-month expectations in the survey data.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 1661.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
expectations ; exchange rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Ito Takatoshi, 1994. "Short-Run and Long-Run Expectations of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 119-143, June.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1993. "Short-run and Long-run Expectations of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 4545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Ito, Takatoshi, 1989.
"On the consistency of short-run and long-run exchange rate expectations,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 487-510, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Takatoshi Ito, 1990. "On the Consistency of Short-run and Long-run Exchange Rate Expectations," NBER Working Papers 2577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rebitzky, Rafael & Schröder, Michael, 2005.
"Do Dollar Forecasters Believe too Much in PPP?,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-321, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Jeffrey Frankel., 1995.
"How Well Do Foreign Exchange Markets Function: Might a Tobin Tax Help?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-058, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1996. "How Well do Foreign Exchange Markets Function: Might a Tobin Tax Help?," NBER Working Papers 5422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald MacDonald & Jun Nagayasu, 2013. "Currency forecast errors at times of low interest rates: evidence from survey data on the Yen/Dollar exchange rate," Working Papers 1321, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Jongen, Ron & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 2008.
"Foreign exchange rate expectations: survey and synthesis,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13932, Maastricht University.
- Ron Jongen & Willem F.C. Verschoor & Christian C.P. Wolff, 2008. "Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Survey And Synthesis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 140-165, 02.
- Charles Engel, 1996.
"The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1996. "The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Rotheli, Tobias F., 2002. "Bandwagon effects and run patterns in exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 157-166, April.
- Pippenger, John, 2004. "In search of overshooting and bandwagons in exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 87-98, February.
- Carl Bonham & Richard Cohen & Shigeyuki Abe, 2006. "The Rationality and Heterogeneity of Survey Forecasts of the Yen-Dollar Exchange Rate: A Reexamination," Working Papers 200611, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.