Short-Run and Long-Run Expectationss of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate
AbstractThe survey data on the yen/dollar exchange rate, collected twice a month for eight years from 1985 to 1993, shows the following features. First, the expected exchange rate changes in the short horizon (one month) are of the band-wagon type while the expected changes in the long horizon (three to six months) are of the mean- reversion type. That is, foreign exchange traders infer from recent appreciations or depreciation that the recent change in the exchange rate will continue for a while, but the direction of changes will reverse, eventually. Second, this result is robust for the entire sample period, which includes sub-periods of sharp yen appreciations and of relative calm, and with respect to different specifications. Third, the deviation from an equilibrium exchange rate does not yield a robust estimate in the regression of expectation formation. Although the history of the yen/dollar exchange rate fluctuations in the past two decades shows mean reversion over several years, they are not captured in the six-month expectations in the survey data.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 1661.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
expectations ; exchange rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Ito Takatoshi, 1994. "Short-Run and Long-Run Expectations of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 119-143, June.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1993. "Short-run and Long-run Expectations of the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 4545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Takatoshi Ito, 1988.
"On the Consistency of Short-run and Long-run Exchange Rate Expectations,"
NBER Working Papers
2577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Ito, Takatoshi, 1989. "On the consistency of short-run and long-run exchange rate expectations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 487-510, December.
- Georges Prat & Remzi Uctum, 2014.
"Expectation formation in the foreign exchange market: a time-varying heterogeneity approach using survey data,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2014-17, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Georges Prat & Remzi Uctum, 2014. "Expectation formation in the foreign exchange market: a time-varying heterogeneity approach using survey data," Working Papers 2014-235, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Engel, Charles, 1996.
"The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Charles Engel, 1995. "The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Jongen & Willem F.C. Verschoor & Christian C.P. Wolff, 2008. "Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Survey And Synthesis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 140-165, 02.
- Rotheli, Tobias F., 2002. "Bandwagon effects and run patterns in exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 157-166, April.
- Carl Bonham & Richard Cohen & Shigeyuki Abe, 2006. "The Rationality and Heterogeneity of Survey Forecasts of the Yen-Dollar Exchange Rate: A Reexamination," Working Papers 200611, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Rafael Rebitzky & Michael Schroder, 2008.
"Do dollar forecasters believe too much in PPP?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 261-270.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1996.
"How Well do Foreign Exchange Markets Function: Might a Tobin Tax Help?,"
NBER Working Papers
5422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Frankel., 1995. "How Well Do Foreign Exchange Markets Function: Might a Tobin Tax Help?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-058, University of California at Berkeley.
- Pippenger, John, 2004. "In search of overshooting and bandwagons in exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 87-98, February.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Nagayasu, Jun, 2013.
"Currency Forecast Errors at Times of Low Interest Rates: Evidence from Survey Data on the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2013-100, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Ronald MacDonald & Jun Nagayasu, 2013. "Currency forecast errors at times of low interest rates: evidence from survey data on the Yen/Dollar exchange rate," Working Papers 1321, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.