Consumer innovativeness and its correlates: A propositional inventory for future research
AbstractThis article summarizes the results of a systematic review of the literature on consumer innovativeness and its correlates and provides a propositional inventory for future research. The authors identified seventy-nine relevant empirical articles from international journals through a search of multiple databases using specific search terms, a manual search of marketing and consumer behavior journals and a cross-reference search. The results show that innovativeness consists of different levels of conceptualization and operational processes. Based on these different conceptualizations, the authors offer propositions for further empirical exploration on consumer innovativeness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Consumer innovativeness Propositional inventory Systematic literature review Innate innovativeness Domain-specific innovativeness Innovative behavior;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batra, Rajeev & Stayman, Douglas M, 1990. " The Role of Mood in Advertising Effectiveness," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 203-14, September.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
- Frambach, Ruud T. & Schillewaert, Niels, 2002. "Organizational innovation adoption: a multi-level framework of determinants and opportunities for future research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 163-176, February.
- Kahle, Lynn R & Beatty, Sharon E & Homer, Pamela, 1986. " Alternative Measurement Approaches to Consumer Values: The List of Values (LOV) and Values and Life Style (VALS)," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(3), pages 405-09, December.
- John Hauser & Gerard J. Tellis & Abbie Griffin, 2006. "Research on Innovation: A Review and Agenda for," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 687-717, 11-12.
- Venkatraman, Meera P. & Price, Linda L., 1990. "Differentiating between cognitive and sensory innovativeness : Concepts, measurement, and implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 293-315, June.
- Roehrich, Gilles, 2004. "Consumer innovativeness: Concepts and measurements," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 671-677, June.
- Martínez Salinas, Eva & Pina Pérez, José Miguel, 2009. "Modeling the brand extensions' influence on brand image," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 50-60, January.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Gielens, Katrijn, 2003. " Consumer and Market Drivers of the Trial Probability of New Consumer Packaged Goods," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(3), pages 368-84, December.
- Hirschman, Elizabeth C, 1980. " Innovativeness, Novelty Seeking, and Consumer Creativity," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 283-95, December.
- Grewal, Rajdeep & Mehta, Raj & Kardes, Frank R., 2000. "The role of the social-identity function of attitudes in consumer innovativeness and opinion leadership," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Midgley, David F & Dowling, Grahame R, 1978. " Innovativeness: The Concept and Its Measurement," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(4), pages 229-42, March.
- Martin Schreier & Stefan Oberhauser & Reinhard Prügl, 2007. "Lead users and the adoption and diffusion of new products: Insights from two extreme sports communities," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 15-30, June.
- Vandecasteele, Bert & Geuens, Maggie, 2009. "Revising the myth of gay consumer innovativeness," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1992. " The Role of Optimum Stimulation Level in Exploratory Consumer Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 434-48, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.