Credit union policies and performance in Latin America
AbstractThis paper presents a conceptual framework for explaining credit union (CU) loan delinquency and profitability in developing countries. It also offers an empirical estimation for a unique sample of Latin American CUs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Other versions of this item:
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1998. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Working Papers 98-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Glenn Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997. "Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4086, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Avery & Raphael W. Bostic & Paul S. Calem & Glenn B. Canner, 1996. "Credit risk, credit scoring, and the performance of home mortgages," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 621-648.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1989.
"Testing for Expense Preference Behavior: Mutual versus Stock Savings and Loans,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1989. "Testing for expense preference behavior: mutual versus stock savings and loans," Working Papers 89-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Ghani, Ejaz, 1992. "How financial markets affect long run growth : a cross country study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 843, The World Bank.
- Smith, Donald J & Cargill, Thomas F & Meyer, Robert A, 1981. "An Economic Theory of a Credit Union," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 519-28, May.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Besley, Timothy & Guinnane, Timothy W, 1994.
"Thy Neighbor's Keeper: The Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 491-515, May.
- Guinnane, T. & Banerjee, A. & Besley, T., 1993. "Thy Neighbor's Keeper: the Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test," Papers 705, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Christopher P. Beshouri & Dennis C. Glennon, 1996. "CRA as "market development" or "tax": an analysis of lending decisions and economic development," Proceedings 523, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Smith, Donald J, 1984. " A Theoretic Framework for the Analysis of Credit Union Decision Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1155-68, September.
- Huppi, Monika & Feder, Gershon, 1990.
"The Role of Groups and Credit Cooperatives in Rural Lending,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 187-204, July.
- Huppi, Monika & Feder, Gershon, 1989. "The role of groups and credit cooperatives in rural lending," Policy Research Working Paper Series 284, The World Bank.
- Jayaratne, Jith & Strahan, Philip E, 1996. "The Finance-Growth Nexus: Evidence from Bank Branch Deregulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 639-70, August.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:1996:i:may:p:556-585 is not listed on IDEAS
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Carlos E. Cuevas & Klaus P. Fischer, 2006. "Cooperative Financial Institutions : Issues in Governance, Regulation, and Supervision," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7107.
- Lenka DOKULILOVÁ & Karel Janda & Pavel ZETEK, 2009.
"Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions in Financial Crisis,"
European Financial and Accounting Journal,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 7-33.
- Dokulilova, Lenka & Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2009. "Sustainability of microfinance institutions in financial crisis," MPRA Paper 17696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gropper, Daniel M. & Hudson, Carl D., 2003. "A note on savings and loan ownership structure and expense preference: A re-examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2003-2014, October.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 2004. "Determinants of merger and acquisition activity in Australian cooperative deposit-taking institutions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 47-57, January.
- Glenn D. Westley, 2001. "¿Pueden las políticas de los mercados financieros reducir la desigualdad del ingreso?," IDB Publications 41739, Inter-American Development Bank.
- MÃƒÂ¥ns SÃƒÂ¶derbom & Catherine Pattillo, 2000. "Managerial Risk Attitudes and Firm Performance in Ghanaian Manufacturing: an Empirical Analysis Based on Experimental Data," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Esho, Neil, 2001. "The determinants of cost efficiency in cooperative financial institutions: Australian evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 941-964, May.
- Neil Esho, 2000. "Scale Economies in Credit Unions: Accounting for Subsidies Is Important," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 29-43, October.
- Glenn D. Westley, 2001. "Can Financial Market Policies Reduce Income Inequality?," IDB Publications 41498, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bauer, Keldon J. & Miles, Linda L. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2009. "The effect of mergers on credit union performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2267-2274, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.