The federal deposit insurance fund that didn't put a bite on U.S. taxpayers
AbstractUnlike the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation and the Bank Insurance Fund, the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF) entered the 1990s in a state of accounting solvency. This paper develops evidence to show the more important fact that NCUSIF remained solvent in a market-value sense as well. Differences in institutional product lines and risk-taking opportunities between credit unions and banks and thrifts are not consequential enough to explain the differences in their funds' health. This paper explains how differences in decisionmaking environments made managerial and regulatory risk-taking incentives in the credit-union industry diverge substantially from those governing banks and S&Ls. The differences in incentive structure support the hypothesis that private coinsurance could lessen taxpayer loss exposure elsewhere in the federal deposit insurance system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 20 (1996)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Other versions of this item:
- Edward J. Kane & Robert Hendershott, 1994. "The Federal Deposit Insurance Fund That Didn't Put A Bite on U.S. Tax Payers," NBER Working Papers 4648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Edward J. Kane, 1988. "Changing incentives facing financial-services regulators," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 265-279.
- Smith, Donald J, 1984. " A Theoretic Framework for the Analysis of Credit Union Decision Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1155-68, September.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Smith, Donald J & Cargill, Thomas F & Meyer, Robert A, 1981. "An Economic Theory of a Credit Union," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 519-28, May.
- Timur Han Gür & Naci Canpolat & Hüseyin Özel, 2011. "The Crisis and After: There Is No Alternative?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(1), pages 113-133, March.
- Edward J. Kane & Asli Demirguc-Kunt, 2001.
"Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does it Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
8493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2002. "Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 175-195, Spring.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asl' & Kane, Edward J., 2001. "Depositinsurance around the globe : where does it work?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2679, The World Bank.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 1999.
"Credit unions and the common bond,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 41-64.
- Leggett, Keith J. & Strand, Robert W., 2002. "Membership growth, multiple membership groups and agency control at credit unions," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 37-46.
- Cull, Robert, 1998. "How deposit insurance affects financial depth : a cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1875, The World Bank.
- David Ely, 2014. "Credit unions and risk," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 80-111, August.
- Cabo, Paula & Rebelo, Joao, 2005. "Governance Control Mechanisms in Portuguese Agricultural Credit Cooperatives," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24623, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.