Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions in Financial Crisis
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to clarify the problems of microfinance and the sustainability of microfinance institutions (MFI) in financial crisis. We find, that MFIs are often considered as one of the most effective and flexible strategies in the fight against global poverty. Due to several often unsolvable problems obstructing the easier and faster development of these institutions such as: ethnical problems, managerial resources, legal recourses, unfortunate recourses and other, the operations of MFIs are often not sufficiently efficient. The microfinance sector is in general known for its adaptability and quite healthy survival of past financial crises. However, current global financial crisis is testing the resilience of MFIs hardly. The MFIs are much more connected to international financial markets now than it was the case during previous crises. Therefore we expect that they will not survive the crisis without bearing some loses. But the expected losses are relatively smaller when compared to other financial institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal European Financial and Accounting Journal.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Postal: European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Prague 3, Czech Republic
Other versions of this item:
- Dokulilova, Lenka & Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2009. "Sustainability of microfinance institutions in financial crisis," MPRA Paper 17696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Michal & Chytilová, Julie & Morduch, Jonathan, 2010.
"Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence from Rural India,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4901, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michal Bauer & Julie Chytilova & Jonathan Morduch, 2012. "Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence from Rural India," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 1118-39, April.
- Michal Bauer & Julie Chytilová & Jonathan Morduch, 2008. "Behavioral Foundations of Microcredit: Experimental and Survey Evidence From Rural India," Working Papers IES 2008/28, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Nov 2008.
- Glenn Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1997.
"Credit Union Policies and Performances in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4086, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Westley, Glenn D. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1303-1329, September.
- Glenn D. Westley & Sherrill Shaffer, 1998. "Credit union policies and performance in Latin America," Working Papers 98-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2006.
"The Economic Lives of the Poor,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5968, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Janda, Karel & Turbat, Batbayar, 2013. "Econometric Analysis of Profitability of Microfinance Institutions in Selected Asian Countries," MPRA Paper 51430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2013. "Opportunities in microfinance risk management," MPRA Paper 43960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janda, Karel & Svárovská, Barbora, 2009. "The Problems of Correlation in the Financial Risk Management – the Contribution of Microfinance," MPRA Paper 19486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2013. "Macroeconomic factors influencing interest rates of microfinance institutions in Latin America," MPRA Paper 49973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janda, Karel & Turbat, Batbayar, 2013. "Factors Influencing Portfolio Yield of Microfinance Institutions in Central Asia," MPRA Paper 49549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.