Drilling speed—the relevance of experience
AbstractDrilling expenses have increased sharply in recent years. The productivity of drilling operations – in terms of meters drilled per day – significantly influences exploration costs. Hence it is important to understand the factors that determine drilling productivity. In this study we analyze the effect of different types of experience or learning on offshore drilling productivity. The econometric analysis employs a large data set on exploration wells from the Norwegian Continental Shelf, covering most of its 45year drilling history. Many other industries have a steep learning curve. A central question here is if learning effects also contribute to increased productivity in petroleum exploration drilling. Furthermore, to what extent do diseconomies associated with reservoir depletion effects and limited acreage counteract learning effects on productivity?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Learning effects; Drilling; Productivity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osmundsen, Petter & Toft, Anders & Agnar Dragvik, Kjell, 2006. "Design of drilling contracts--Economic incentives and safety issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2324-2329, October.
- Iledare, Omowumi O. & Pulsipher, Allan G., 2007. "Joint bidding restriction policy for selective E&P firms in the US Gulf of Mexico OCS: How persuasive is its effectiveness?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3126-3133, June.
- Mohn, Klaus & Osmundsen, Petter, 2008. "Exploration economics in a regulated petroleum province: The case of the Norwegian Continental Shelf," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 303-320, March.
- Iledare, Omowumi O. & Pulsipher, Allan G., 1999. "Sources of change in petroleum drilling productivity in onshore Louisiana in the US, 1977-1994," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 261-271, June.
- Petter Osmundsen, 1998. "Dynamic Taxation of Non-renewable Natural Resources Under Asymmetric Information About Reserves," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 933-951, November.
- Alexander Kemp & Sola Kasim, 2006. "A Regional Model Of Oil And Gas Exploration In The Ukcs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(2), pages 198-221, 05.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Ryan Kellogg, 2009.
"Learning by Drilling: Inter-Firm Learning and Relationship Persistence in the Texas Oilpatch,"
NBER Working Papers
15060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ryan Kellogg, 2011. "Learning by Drilling: Interfirm Learning and Relationship Persistence in the Texas Oilpatch," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(4), pages 1961-2004.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Sørenes, Terje & Toft, Anders, 2008. "Drilling contracts and incentives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3128-3134, August.
- Richard L. Farnsworth & Richard B. Norgaard, 1976. ""Technical Change and Petroleum Drilling Costs": Comment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(1), pages 103-108.
- Stoker, Thomas M. & Berndt, Ernst R. & Denny Ellerman, A. & Schennach, Susanne M., 2005. "Panel data analysis of U.S. coal productivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 131-164, August.
- Klaus Mohn, 2008. "Efforts and Efficiency in Oil Exploration: A Vector Error-Correction Approach," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 53-78.
- Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Modeling the time and cost to drill an offshore well," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1097-1112.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Opaluch, James J. & Jin, Di & Grigalunas, Thomas A., 2006. "Stochastic frontier analysis of total factor productivity in the offshore oil and gas industry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 204-215, November.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Opaluch, James J. & Jin, Di & Grigalunas, Thomas A., 2005. "Technological change and petroleum exploration in the Gulf of Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 619-632, March.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Xunpeng Shi & R. Grafton, 2010. "Efficiency impacts of the Chinese industrial transition: a quantitative evaluation of reforms in the coal industry," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Asafu-Adjaye, J. & Mahadevan, R., 2003. "How cost efficient are Australia's mining industries?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 315-329, July.
- Asche, Frank & Dahl, Roy Endre & Oglend, Atle, 2013. "Value-at-Risk: Risk assessment for the portfolio of oil and gas producers," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2013/3, University of Stavanger.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Rosendahl, Knut Einar & Skjerpen, Terje, 2012.
"Understanding Rig Rates,"
UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2012/9, University of Stavanger.
- Petter Osmundsen & Knut Einar Rosendahl & Terje Skjerpen, 2012. "Understanding rig rates," Discussion Papers 696, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Petter Osmundsen & Knut Einar Rosendahl & Terje Skjerpen, 2013. "Understanding Rig Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 4532, CESifo Group Munich.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Roll, Kristin Helen, 2013. "Concave Drilling Curves," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2013/1, University of Stavanger.
- Lars Lindholt, 2013. "The tug-of-war between resource depletion and technological change in the global oil industry 1981 - 2009," Discussion Papers 732, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.