Short-term and long-term competition between providers of shrink-wrap software and software as a service
AbstractSoftware as a service (SaaS) has moved quickly from a peripheral idea to a mainstream phenomenon. By bundling a software product with delivery and maintenance service, SaaS providers can effectively differentiate their products with traditional shrink-wrap software (SWS). This research uses a game theoretical approach to examine short- and long-term competition between SaaS and SWS providers. We analyze the factors that affect equilibrium outcomes, including user implementation costs, SaaS provider's operation efficiency, and quality improvement over time. Bundling software with service lowers software implementation cost for users, and our results suggest that it increases equilibrium prices. In providing software services, SaaS providers have to incur significant operation cost. In the long run, service operation cost may significantly affect SaaS firm's ability to improve its software quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 196 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Pricing Economics Quality competition Software as a service Differential game;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorgensen, Steffen & Taboubi, Sihem & Zaccour, Georges, 2003. "Retail promotions with negative brand image effects: Is cooperation possible?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 395-405, October.
- Kashyap, Anil K, 1995.
"Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 245-74, February.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1991. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1990. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 112, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anil K Kashyap, 1994. "Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs," NBER Working Papers 4855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chaim Fershtman & Morton I. Kamien, 1987.
"Turnpike Properties in a Finite Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly with Sticky Prices,"
746, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Kamien, Morton I, 1990. "Turnpike Properties in a Finite-Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly with Sticky Prices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 49-60, February.
- Fershtman, C. & Kamien, M.I., 1988. "Turnpike Properties In A Finite Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly With Sticky Prices," Papers 4-88, Tel Aviv.
- Frank M. Bass & Anand Krishnamoorthy & Ashutosh Prasad & Suresh P. Sethi, 2005. "Generic and Brand Advertising Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 556-568, February.
- Michael D. Whinston, 1989.
"Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion,"
NBER Working Papers
2995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1987.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio A. Piga, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Advertising and Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 509-522, October.
- Levy, Daniel, et al, 1997.
"The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 791-825, August.
- Daniel Levy & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta & Robert Venable, 2005. "The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains," Macroeconomics 0505012, EconWPA.
- Erickson, Gary M., 1995. "Differential game models of advertising competition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 431-438, June.
- Fernando Bernstein & Gregory A. DeCroix, 2004. "Decentralized Pricing and Capacity Decisions in a Multitier System with Modular Assembly," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1293-1308, September.
- Alok Gupta & Dale O. Stahl, 1996.
"A Stochastic Equilibrium Model of Internet Pricing,"
CARE Working Papers
9604, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Gupta, Alok & Stahl, Dale O. & Whinston, Andrew B., 1997. "A stochastic equilibrium model of internet pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 697-722, May.
- Uday S. Karmarkar & Richard C. Pitbladdo, 1997. "Quality, Class, and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(1), pages 27-39, January.
- Nair, Anand & Narasimhan, Ram, 2006. "Dynamics of competing with quality- and advertising-based goodwill," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 462-474, November.
- Charles H. Fine, 1986. "Quality Improvement and Learning in Productive Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1301-1315, October.
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1988. "Product and Price Competition in a Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 141-168.
- Yong Tan & Vijay S. Mookerjee, 2005. "Allocating Spending Between Advertising and Information Technology in Electronic Retailing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1236-1249, August.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G., 1986. "The frequency of price adjustment : A study of the newsstand prices of magazines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 255-274, April.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, October.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 947-985, October.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John & Whinston, Michael D, 1989. "Multiproduct Monopoly, Commodity Bundling, and Correlation of Values," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 371-83, May.
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 2003. "Capacity Games in Assembly Systems with Uncertain Demand," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 252-267, January.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Inder Khosla & Kingshuk K. Sinha, 1998. "Quality and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(9), pages 1179-1192, September.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
- Chen, Yongmin, 1997. "Equilibrium Product Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 85-103, January.
- Dragos Marian Mangiuc, 2009. "Software: From Product To Service The Evolution Of A Model," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(11), pages 8.
- Arne Katzmarzik, 2011. "Product Differentiation for Software-as-a-Service Providers," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 19-31, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.