Does labor diversity promote entrepreneurship?
AbstractWe find evidence that workforce educational diversity promotes entrepreneurial behavior of employees as well as the formation of new firms, whereas diversity in demographics hinders transitions to self-employment. Ethnic diversity favors entrepreneurship in financial and business services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 116 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Labor diversity; Entrepreneurship; Transitions to self-employment;
Other versions of this item:
- C26 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. Lazear, 2004. "Balanced Skills and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 208-211, May.
- Audretsch, David B & Dohse, Dirk & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2008.
"Cultural Diversity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis for Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Audretsch & Dirk Dohse & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2010. "Cultural diversity and entrepreneurship: a regional analysis for Germany," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 55-85, August.
- Roy Thurik & Enrico Santarelli & David Audretsch & Luuk Klomp, 2002.
"Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A.R., 2002. "Gibrat's Law: are the services different?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-04-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2014.
"The nexus between labor diversity and firm’s innovation,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 303-364, April.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2010. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm´s Innovation," Working Papers 10-15, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2012. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 6972, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2011. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011005, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1999.
"Globalisation and the Market for Team-Mates,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C15-40, March.
- Card, David, 2001.
"Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 22-64, January.
- David Card, 1997. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," NBER Working Papers 5927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1996. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," Working Papers 747, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mette Deding & Trine Filges & Jos Van Ommeren, 2009. "Spatial Mobility And Commuting: The Case Of Two-Earner Households," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 113-147.
- Kaivan Munshi, 2003. "Networks In The Modern Economy: Mexican Migrants In The U.S. Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(2), pages 549-599, May.
- Hong, Lu & Page, Scott E., 2001. "Problem Solving by Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 123-163, March.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2007. "The Theory of Knowledge Spillover Entrepreneurship," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1242-1254, November.
- Dr Max Nathan, 2013.
"The Wider Economic Impacts Of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey Of The Literature,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
11607, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Nathan, Max, 2013. "The Wider Economic Impacts of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 7653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elisabeth Bublitz & Florian Noseleit, 2014. "The skill balancing act: when does broad expertise pay off?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 17-32, January.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Sala, Davide, 2014.
"Ethnic Diversity and Firms' Export Behavior,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics
2/2014, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- Max Nathan, 2014. "The wider economic impacts of high-skilled migrants: a survey of the literature for receiving countries," IZA Journal of Migration, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-20, December.
- Dirk Dohse & Robert Gold, 2013. "Measuring Cultural Diversity at a Regional Level," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 10, WWWforEurope.
- Thomas Kemeny, 2013. "Immigrant Diversity and Economic Development in Cities: A Critical Review," SERC Discussion Papers 0149, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.