Coordination costs and research joint ventures
AbstractWe consider a simple oligopoly model where firms engage in cost-reducing R&D and compare two R&D regimes: R&D competition and R&D cooperation in the form of a research joint venture (RJV). We introduce coordination costs for the RJV and examine how these affect the equilibrium outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Research joint venture (RJV); Process innovation; Coordination costs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- María José Gil Moltó & Nikolaos Georgantzís & Vicente Orts, 2005.
"Cooperative R&D with Endogenous Technology Differentiation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 461-476, 06.
- María José Gil Moltó & Nikolaos Georgantzís & Vicente Orts, 2004. "Cooperative R&D with Endogenous Technology Differentiation," Industrial Organization 0401009, EconWPA.
- Rabah Amir, 1998.
"Modelling Imperfectly Appropriable R&D via Spillovers,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1998-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Amir, Rabah, 2000. "Modelling imperfectly appropriable R&D via spillovers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1013-1032, October.
- Gamal Atallah, 2005. "R&D cooperation with asymmetric spillovers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 919-936, August.
- Michael L. Katz, 1986. "An Analysis of Cooperative Research and Development," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 527-543, Winter.
- Ascension Barajas & Elena Huergo, 2010. "International R&D cooperation within the EU Framework Programme: empirical evidence for Spanish firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 87-111.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Amir, Rabah & Jin, Jim Y. & Troege, Michael, 2008. "On additive spillovers and returns to scale in R&D," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 695-703, May.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, .
"Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- Constantine Manasakis & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2004.
"Union structure and firms incentives for cooperative R&D investments,"
0508, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Constantine Manasakis & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2009. "Union structure and firms' incentives for cooperative R&D investments," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 665-693, May.
- Constantine Manasakis & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2007. "Union structure and firms incentives for cooperative R&D investments," Working Papers 0705, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, Eitan & Zang, Israel, 1992. "Research Joint Ventures and R&D Cartels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1293-306, December.
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1995. "Equilibrium and Optimal Size of a Research Joint Venture in an Oligopoly with Spillovers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 209-26, June.
- Jon Vilasuso & Mark R. Frascatore, 2000. "Public policy and R&D when research joint ventures are costly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 818-839, August.
- Stephen Campbell & Stephanie Shipp & Tim Mulcahy & Ted Allen, 2009. "Informing public policy on science and innovation: the Advanced Technology Program’s experience," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 304-319, June.
- Beath, John & Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna & Ulph, David, 1998. "Organization Design and Information-Sharing in a Research Joint Venture with Spillovers," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 47-59, January.
- Fabrizi, Simona & Lippert, Steffen, 2011.
"Due diligence, research joint ventures, and incentives to innovate,"
33207, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simona Fabrizi & Steffen Lippert, 2012. "Due Diligence, Research Joint Ventures, and Incentives to Innovate," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 168(4), pages 588-611, December.
- Simona Fabrizi & Steffen Lippert, 2011. "Due diligence, research joint ventures, and incentives to innovate," Working Papers 1113, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.