Determinantes de las tasas universitarias de graduación, retención y deserción en Puerto Rico: Un estudio de Caso
AbstractEn este estudio se modelan las probabilidades de graduación, deserción y retención en la Universidad de Puerto Rico en Bayamón. Con este propósito, el expediente académico de cada uno de los 17,814 estudiantes admitidosdurante los años académicos de 1995-96 a 2005-06 se rastrea hasta elúltimo semestre del período y se determina su estatus académico: graduado,trasladado, activo, suspendido, dado de baja total o desertor. Basados en laproporción de estudiantes que pertenecen a las primeras tres categorías, se evidencia un limitado desempeño institucional, pues sólo un 44 por ciento tuvouna ejecución académica exitosa. Las probabilidades de graduación, retencióny deserción de los estudiantes varían a través del tiempo y están significativamente influidas por su género, sus programas académicos, así como por las escuelas y las universidades de donde proceden.**This paper estimates the probabilities of graduation, retention, and attrition for the University of Puerto Rico at Bayamón. For this purpose, the academic record of each one of the 17,814 students admitted during the academic years 1995-96 up to 2005-06 (spring) is scrutinized. The academic status of students is classified as graduated, transferred, active, total withdrawal, or disappeared. The evidence points to a record of limited academic success: For the period analyzed, only 44 percent of students got their degree. The students' probabilities of graduation, retention, and attrition vary over time and are significantly influenced by gender, academic programs, and the high schoolsand universities from which they came from.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its journal REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
graduación; deserción; retención; ÍGS; métodos de máximaverosimilitud.**graduation; retention; attrition; IGS; maximum likelihood methods.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jepsen, Christopher, 2008. "Multinomial probit estimates of college completion at 2-year and 4-year schools," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Sandy, Jonathan & Gonzalez, Arturo & Hilmer, Michael J., 2006. "Alternative paths to college completion: Effect of attending a 2-year school on the probability of completing a 4-year degree," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 463-471, October.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Welch, Finis, 1993. "Inequality and Relative Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 104-09, May.
- DesJardins, Stephen L. & Ahlburg, Dennis A. & McCall, Brian P., 2006.
"The effects of interrupted enrollment on graduation from college: Racial, income, and ability differences,"
Economics of Education Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 575-590, December.
- Stephen L. DesJardins & Dennis A. Ahlburg & Brian P. McCall, . "The Effects of Interrupted Enrollment on Graduation from College: Racial, Income, and Ability Differences," Working Papers, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus) 0505, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Di Pietro, Giorgio & Cutillo, Andrea, 2008. "Degree flexibility and university drop-out: The Italian experience," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 546-555, October.
- Audrey Light & Wayne Strayer, 2000. "Determinants of College Completion: School Quality or Student Ability?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 299-332.
- Singell, Larry Jr., 2004. "Come and stay a while: does financial aid effect retention conditioned on enrollment at a large public university?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 459-471, October.
- Javier Díaz-Giménez & Vincenzo Quadrini & José-Víctor Ríos-Rull, 1997. "Dimensions of inequality: facts on the U.S. distributions of earnings, income, and wealth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-21.
- Dominic J. Brewer & Eric Eide & Ronald G. Ehrenberg, 1996. "Does It Pay To Attend An Elite Private College? Cross Cohort Evidence on the Effects of College Quality on Earnings," NBER Working Papers 5613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stratton, Leslie S. & O'Toole, Dennis M. & Wetzel, James N., 2005.
"A Multinomial Logit Model of College Stopout and Dropout Behavior,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1634, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stratton, Leslie S. & O'Toole, Dennis M. & Wetzel, James N., 2008. "A multinomial logit model of college stopout and dropout behavior," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 319-331, June.
- Montmarquette, Claude & Mahseredjian, Sophie & Houle, Rachel, 2001. "The determinants of university dropouts: a bivariate probability model with sample selection," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 475-484, October.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin A. & Smith, Jeremy P., 2005.
"Effects of in-class variation and student rank on the probability of withdrawal: cross-section and time-series analysis for UK university students,"
Economics of Education Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 251-262, June.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Effects of In-Class Variation and Student Rank on the Probability of Withdrawal: Cross-Section and Time-Series Analysis for UK University Students," IZA Discussion Papers 655, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Winship C. Fuller & Charles F. Manski & David A. Wise, 1982. "New Evidence on the Economic Determinants of Postsecondary Schooling Choices," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(4), pages 477-498.
- Jeremy P. Smith & Robin A. Naylor, 2001. "Dropping out of university: A statistical analysis of the probability of withdrawal for UK university students," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 164(2), pages 389-405.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.