Market Segmentation via Mixed Logit: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil in Urban Italy
AbstractThe paper presents some results from a stated-preference study that compares three samples of urban consumers of extra-virgin olive oil from three representative Italian cities: Naples (South), Rome (Centre) and Milan (North). A series of multinomial logit models are estimated from choice experiments responses and tested for unobserved heterogeneity for EU labelling informing on PDO/PGI, organic and place of origin attributes. The consequences of such form of heterogeneity are flashed out with respect to issues of market segmentation on the basis of the pattern of correlation across preferences as estimated from mixed logit models. Results indicate that product origin matters differently in different cities, while the sample from Naples is the least heterogeneous the Milan and Rome samples display highest taste heterogeneity, but also stronger intensity of taste.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luisa Menapace & Gregory Colson & Carola Grebitus & Maria Facendola, 2011.
"Consumers' preferences for geographical origin labels: evidence from the Canadian olive oil market,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 193-212, June.
- Menapace, Luisa & Colson, Gregory J. & Grebitus, Carola & Facendola, Maria, 2009. "Consumer Preferences for Country-Of-Origin, Geographical Indication, and Protected Designation of Origin Labels," Staff General Research Papers 13122, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Menapace, Luisa & Colson, Gregory & Grebitus, Carola & Facendola, Maria, 2008. "Consumer preferences for extra virgin olive oil with country-of-origin and geographical indication labels in Canada," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6430, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Caputo, Vincenzina & Aprile, Maria Carmela & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2011. "Consumers’ Valuation for European food quality labels: Importance of Label Information Provision," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114324, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cicia, Gianni & Del Giudice, Teresa & Ramunno, Ilaria & Tagliafierro, Carolina, 2006. "Splitting consumer's willingness to pay premium price for organic products over main purchase motivations," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10057, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marchini, Andrea & Onofri, Andrea & Diotallevi, Francesco & Angioli, Gianluca, 2010.
"Profili strategici delle PMI: l’indagine RIOM
[Strategic profiles of SME: RIOM survey]," MPRA Paper 40704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Olynk, Nicole J. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2008. "Consumer Preferences for Animal Welfare Attributes: Case of Gestation Crates," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6062, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Antonio Stasi & Francesco Diotallevi & Andrea Marchini, 2012.
"Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva: un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data,"
RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA AGRARIA,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(1), pages 69-88.
- Stasi, Antonio & Diotallevi, Francesco & Marchini, Andrea, 2012.
"Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva:un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data
[Big And Small Producers, Private Label And Gdo’S Price Strate," MPRA Paper 40449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stasi, Antonio & Diotallevi, Francesco & Marchini, Andrea, 2012. "Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva:un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data
- Marchini, Andrea & Diotallevi, Francesco, 2010. "Lo scenario competitivo degli oli extravergine di oliva nel canale della GDO," MPRA Paper 40483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anania, Giovanni & Pupo D'Andrea, Maria Rosaria, 2008. "The Global Market for Olive Oil: Actors, Trends, Policies, Prospects and Research Needs," Working Papers 6109, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Birol, Ekin & Roy, Devesh & Torero, Maximo, 2010. "How safe is my food?: Assessing the effect of information and credible certification on consumer demand for food safety in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 1029, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marchesini, Sergio & Hasimu, Huliyeti & Regazzi, Domenico, 2007. "Literature review on the perception of agro-foods quality cues in the international environment," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7892, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pascucci, Stefano & deMagistris, Tiziana, 2013. "Information Bias Condemning Radical Food Innovators? The Case of Insect-Based Products in the Netherlands," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(3).
- Umberger, Wendy J. & Calkins, Chris R., 2008. "Korean Consumers’ Preferences and Willingness to Pay for Domestic versus U.S. and Australian Beef with Alternative Attributes," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6172, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gracia, Azucena & Barreiro-Hurle, Jesus & Perez y Perez, Luis, 2011. "Consumers’ willingness to pay for biodiesel in Spain," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114605, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bond, Craig A. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2008. "What to Choose? The Value of Label Claims to Fresh Produce Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.