Never Give up on the Good Times: Student Attrition in the UK
AbstractThe determinants of students' propensity to drop out of university are analysed using individual records of all students passing through the central applications process in 1993. The data set comprises about 100,000 individuals and allows a much more thorough analysis of student wastage than has been possible in the past. The main reasons for attrition, academic failure ('involuntary' attrition) and 'voluntary' dropout, are modelled. The results highlight, "inter alia", the importance of matching and peer group effects, both of which have been found to be important determinants of student outcomes in the US but which have been subject to little empirical scrutiny for the UK. Copyright 2004 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 66 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steve Gibbons & Anna Vignoles, 2009. "Access, Choice and Participation in Higher Education," CEE Discussion Papers 0101, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Giorgio Di Pietro, 2006. "Regional labour market conditions and university dropout rates: Evidence from Italy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 617-630.
- Carmen Aina, 2010. "University Drop-out in Italy," Working Papers 134, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Steve Bradley & Pam Lenton, 2007. "Dropping out of post-compulsory education in the UK: an analysis of determinants and outcomes," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 299-328, April.
- Elias Katsikas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Student Status and Academic Performance: an approach of the quality determinants of university studies in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 40, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Carmen Aina, 2010. "The Determinants of Success and Failure of Italian University Students. Evidence from administrative data," Working Papers 131, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Vignoles, Anna, 2012. "Geography, choice and participation in higher education in England," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 98-113.
- Elias Katsikas & Theologos Dergiades, 2012. "Revising higher education policy in Greece: filling the Danaids’ Jar," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 279-292, August.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin A. & Smith, Jeremy P., 2005.
"Effects of in-class variation and student rank on the probability of withdrawal: cross-section and time-series analysis for UK university students,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 251-262, June.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Effects of In-Class Variation and Student Rank on the Probability of Withdrawal: Cross-Section and Time-Series Analysis for UK University Students," IZA Discussion Papers 655, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elias Katsikas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011. "Student Status and Academic Performance: Accounting for the Symptom of Long Duration of Studies in Greece," Discussion Paper Series 2011_04, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2011.
- Elias Katsikas & Theologos Dergiades, 2009. "Higher Education Policy in Greece: Filling the Danaids' Jar," Discussion Paper Series 2009_16, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2009.
- Carmen Aina, 2010. "The Determinants of Educational Attainment, University Drop-out and Time-to-Degree. A focus on Italy," Working Papers 132, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.