Further Tests of Static Oligopoly Models: Whiskey, 1882-1898
AbstractUsing data from the turn-of-the-century whiskey industry, we conduct tests of the NEIO methodology similar to those conducted by Genesove and Mullin . Like Genesove and Mullin, we find that the NEIO methodology appears to perform reasonably well for low levels of market power. Conduct is somewhat overestimated, with estimates ranging from 0.17 to 0.35 as compared to direct estimates of 0.09. Cost parameters are generally underestimated. Estimates of conduct and remaining cost parameters improve significantly, however, with additional information on cost. Estimates improve further if conduct is allowed to have two regimes, which are identified based on historical evidence. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 51 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ritz, R.A., 2012. "On welfare losses due to imperfect competition," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1234, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Thille, H. & Grant, H., 2004. "How Standard Oil Came to Canada: The Monopolization of Canadian Petroleum Refining, 1989-1998," Working Papers 2004-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Rodrigo Zeidan & Marcelo Resende, 2009.
"Measuring Market Conduct in the Brazilian Cement Industry: A Dynamic Econometric Investigation,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 231-244, May.
- Rodrigo M. Zeidan & Marcelo Resende, 2005. "Measuring Market Conduct in the Brazilian Cement Industry: a Dynamic Econometric Investigation," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/13, European University Institute.
- Xavier Fageda Sanjuan, 2004. "Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Air Transport Market," Working Papers in Economics 125, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Hideki Murakami, 2012. "Dynamic Effect of Low-Cost Entry on the Conduct Parameter: An Early-Stage Analysis of Southwest Airlines and America West Airlines," Discussion Papers 2012-25, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Christopher Knittel & Dae-Wook Kim, 2005.
"Biases in Static Oligopoly Models?:Evidence from the California Electricity Market,"
526, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Knittel, Christopher & Kim, Dae-Wook, 2005. "Biases in Static Oligopoly Models? Evidence from the California Electricity Market," Working Papers 05-26, University of California at Davis, Department of Economics.
- Dae-Wook Kim & Christopher R. Knittel, 2004. "Biases in Static Oligopoly Models? Evidence from the California Electricity Market," NBER Working Papers 10895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan, 2004. "Do Mergers Result in Collusion?," Working Paper Series 621, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Tangerås, Thomas P., 2009. "Market power in the Nordic electricity wholesale market: A survey of the empirical evidence," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3681-3692, September.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Benjamin H. Liebman & Wesley W. Wilson, 2007. "Trade Policy and Market Power: The Case of the US Steel Industry," NBER Working Papers 13671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Fageda, 2006.
"Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 379-399, June.
- Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market," Industrial Organization 0511011, EconWPA.
- Robert Ritz, 2013. "On welfare losses due to imperfect competition," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1334, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jeon, Sang-Gon, 2008. "Estimation of Political Oligopoly Power of Domestic Producers in the Korean Raw-Milk Market," Journal of Rural Development/Nongchon-Gyeongje, Korea Rural Economic Institute, vol. 31(5), November.
- Orea, L. & Steinbuks, J., 2012. "Estimating market power in homogenous product markets using a composed error model: application to the California electricity market," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1220, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.