Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market
AbstractThis paper examines airline competition through an empirical specification of a demand and pricing equation system. The system is estimated for the Spanish airline market using a simultaneous procedure. The suitability of the Cournot assumption is tested in a competitive scenario characterized by an asymmetric oligopoly with capacity constraints. In addition, the degree of density economies is analyzed. Results show that Spanish airlines behave in a less competitive way than is implied by the Cournot solution. Finally, some evidence on the fact that thin routes can be considered as natural monopolies is found. Copyright Springer 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
oligopoly; air transportation; multiple equation models; D43; L13; L93; C30;
Other versions of this item:
- Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market," Industrial Organization 0511011, EconWPA.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Michael D. Whinston & Scott C. Collins, 1992. "Entry and Competitive Structure in Deregulated Airline Markets: An Event Study Analysis of People Express," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(4), pages 445-462, Winter.
- Raymond Deneckere & Dan Kovenock, 1988.
773, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Nichola J. Dyer & Pablo T. Spiller, 1992. "Fare Determination in Airline Hub-and-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(3), pages 309-333, Autumn.
- Christos Pitelis & Mirko Schnell, 2002. "Barriers to Mobility in Europe's Civil Aviation Markets: Theory and New Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 127-150, March.
- Karen Clay & Werner Troesken, 2003. "Further Tests of Static Oligopoly Models: Whiskey, 1882-1898," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 151-166, 06.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Marin, Pedro L, 1995. "Competition in European Aviation: Pricing Policy and Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 141-59, June.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Fredrik Carlsson, 2004. "Prices and Departures in European Domestic Aviation Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 37-49, 02.
- Thorsten Fischer & David R. Kamerschen, 2003. "Price-Cost Margins in the US Airline Industry using a Conjectural Variation Approach," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 37(2), pages 227-259, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Braeutigam, Ronald R., 1989. "Optimal policies for natural monopolies," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1289-1346 Elsevier.
- Hugo E. Silva & Erik T. Verhoef, 2011. "Optimal Pricing of Flights and Passengers at Congested Airports: The Efficiency of Atomistic Charges," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-179/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 28 Mar 2013.
- Ofelia Betancor & Juan Luis JimÃƒÂ©nez, 2011. "When trains go faster than planes: the strategic reaction of airlines in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa11p295, European Regional Science Association.
- Silva, Hugo E. & Verhoef, Erik T., 2013. "Optimal pricing of flights and passengers at congested airports and the efficiency of atomistic charges," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 1-13.
- Joan Calzada & Xavier Fageda, 2012. "Discounts and Public Service Obligations in the Airline Market: Lessons from Spain," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 291-312, June.
- Fageda, Xavier & FernÃ¡ndez-Villadangos, Laura, 2009. "Triggering competition in the Spanish airline market: The role of airport capacity and low-cost carriers," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 36-40.
- Cantos-Sánchez, Pedro & Moner-Colonques, Rafael & Sempere-Monerris, José J. & Álvarez-SanJaime, Óscar, 2009. "Alternative pricing regimes in interurban passenger transport with externalities and modal competition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 128-137, March.
- Sainz-GonzÃ¡lez, RubÃ©n & NÃºnez-SÃ¡nchez, RamÃ³n & Coto-MillÃ¡n, Pablo, 2011. "The impact of airport fees on fares for the leisure air travel market: The case of Spain," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 158-162.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009.
"Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance,"
2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Xavier Fageda, 2014. "“What hurts the dominant airlines at hub airports?”," IREA Working Papers 201414, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.