Restricted Structural Change And The Unit Root Hypothesis
Abstract"In a classic paper, Nelson and Plosser could not reject the unit root hypothesis in favor of trend stationarity for 13 out of 14 long-term annual macro series. Subsequent studies, allowing for one or two structural changes, have found more rejections with a broken trend stationary alternative. Since these changes are defined to be permanent, the rejections do not provide evidence of trend stationarity. We propose new tests for a unit root in the presence of restricted structural change. Allowing for two offsetting structural changes, we reject the unit root null in favor of restricted trend stationarity for 6 out of 13 series. "("JEL "C22, E32) Copyright 2007 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 45 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0095-2583
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, 2011.
"Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests,"
Articles of International Econometric Review (IER),
Econometric Research Association, vol. 3(2), pages 22-33, September.
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, Atiq-ur-Rehman & Zaman, Asad, 2009. "Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests," MPRA Paper 19963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fossati, Sebastian, 2011. "Unit Root Testing with Stationary Covariates and a Structural Break in the Trend Function," Working Papers 2011-10, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Claude Lopez & Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2013.
"Median-unbiased estimation in DF-GLS regressions and the PPP puzzle,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 455-464, February.
- Claude Lopez & Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2003. "Median-Unbiased Estimation in DF-GLS Regressions and the PPP Puzzle," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-07, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Lopez, Claude & Murray, Chris & Papell, David, 2009. "Median-Unbiased Estimation in DF-GLS Regressions and the PPP Puzzle," MPRA Paper 26091, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lopez, C. & Murray, C J. & Papell, D H., 2011. "Median-Unbiased Estimation in DF-GLS Regressions and the PPP Puzzle," Working papers 338, Banque de France.
- Claude Lopez & Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2008. "Median-Unbiased Estimation in DF-GLS Regressions and the PPP Puzzle," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2008-05, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics, revised 2008.
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2011.
"Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988,"
Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History,
Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 5(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2009. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860–1988," Working Papers hal-00422502, HAL.
- Jean-François Goux, 2008. "Ruptures épaisses et stationnarité en tendance : le cas du taux de change euro-dollar," Post-Print halshs-00333576, HAL.
- Lyócsa, Štefan & Výrost, Tomáš & Baumöhl, Eduard, 2011. "Unit-root and stationarity testing with empirical application on industrial production of CEE-4 countries," MPRA Paper 29648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bas Straathof & Gert Jan Linders & Arjan Lejour & Jan MÃ¶hlmann, 2008. "The internal market and the Dutch economy: implications for trade and economic growth," CPB Document 168, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.