An Evaluation of the Treasury Plan for Banking Reform
AbstractThe Treasury plan for banking reform--Modernizing the Financial System: Recommendations for Safer More Competitive Banks--was released on February 5, 1991 (U.S. Treasury, 1991), and has a stated purpose of promoting a safe, sound, and competitive banking system. It contains recommendations for the most thorough overhaul of the banking regulatory system since the Great Depression. This paper provides a framework for understanding the U.S. banking regulatory system and how it has produced the current crisis in the banking industry, and uses this analysis to evaluate the Treasury plan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 6 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1993.
"Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency,"
1993-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1995. "Explaining Bank Failures: Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 689-700, November.
- Thomas Gehrig, 1995. "Capital Adequacy Rules: Implications for Banks' Risk-Taking," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 131(IV), pages 747-764, December.
- K. Schoors & K. Sonin, 2003.
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
03/177, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Schoors, Koen & Sonin, Konstantin, 2004. "Passive Creditors," CEPR Discussion Papers 4821, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koen Schoors & Konstantin Sonin, 2005. "Passive Creditors," Working Papers w0015, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Koen Schoors & Konstantin Sonin, 2005. "Passive Creditors," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp737, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1994.
"Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 62(0), pages 1-40, Suppl..
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective," NBER Working Papers 4636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cordella, Tito & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo, 1998.
"Financial Opening, Deposit Insurance and Risk in a Model of Banking Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1939, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cordella, Tito & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2002. "Financial opening, deposit insurance, and risk in a model of banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 471-485, March.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Understanding Financial Crises: A Developing Country Perspective," NBER Working Papers 5600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003.
"Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in a Young Democracy Setting,"
w0024, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in A Young Democracy Setting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(4), pages 1301-1338, November.
- Akhmed Akhmedov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "Opportunistic Political Cycles: Test in a Young Democracy Setting," Economics Working Papers 0047, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Vittorio Corbo, 1997. "Integración financiera en América Latina," Research Department Publications 4097, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Joon-Ho Hahm & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2000. "Causes of the Korean Financial Crisis: Lessons for Policy," NBER Working Papers 7483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vittorio Corbo, 1997. "Financial Integration in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4096, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1999. "Lessons from the Tequila Crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1521-1533, October.
- Hilary Ingham & Steve Thompson, 1993. "Structural deregulation and market entry: the case of financial services," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 1-15, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.