Measuring tax burdens in Europe
This paper calculates effective macro-economic tax rates for the 25 EU countries following the methodology developed in Mendoza, Razin, and Tesar (1994). The available Eurostat data allow to compute the tax wedge on consumption, labor and capital. We show that effective tax rates in the 10 new member states of the EU are on average 10 percentage points lower on labor, and 5 percentage points lower on capital and consumption. There is no tendency of convergence in effective tax burdens on capital. The newly computed tax rates are in line with the effective tax rates of the EU Commission for EU 15. Effective tax rates on capital are only weakly connected to statutory tax rates on corporate income. As they are calculated from macroeconomic data they provide only limited information on the actual tax burdens of individual corporations or households.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Walter-Flex-Straße 3, D - 53113 Bonn|
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 2002.
"Evaluating Tax Policy for Location Decisions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994.
"Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993. "Fiscal policy and economic growth: An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 417-458, December.
- William Easterly & Sergio Rebelo, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thiess Buettner & Martin Ruf, 2007.
"Tax incentives and the location of FDI: Evidence from a panel of German multinationals,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 14(2), pages 151-164, April.
- Buettner, Thiess & Ruf, Martin, 2005. "Tax incentives and the location of FDI: evidence from a panel of German multinationals," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Büttner, Thiess & Ruf, Martin, 2004. "Tax Incentives and the Location of FDI: Evidence from a Panel of German Multinationals," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Asea, Patrick, 1997.
"On the ineffectiveness of tax policy in altering long-run growth: Harberger's superneutrality conjecture,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-126, October.
- Asea, Patrick & Mendoza, Enrique G & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 1996. "On the Ineffectiveness of Tax Policy in Altering Long- Run Growth: Harberger's Superneutrality Conjecture," CEPR Discussion Papers 1378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Tesar, Linda L., 2005. "Why hasn't tax competition triggered a race to the bottom? Some quantitative lessons from the EU," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 163-204, January.
- Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 171-190, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeiwps:b092005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.