Moving towards employment insurance: Unemployment insurance and employment protection in the OECD
The report takes issue with the large debate of social security systems and particularly the large expenditure devoted to unemployment insurance in most OECD countries. From the perspective of transitional labour markets we analyse the corresponding welfare regime focusing on employment and unemployment transitions. We propose a restructuring of national social security systems towards an employment insurance system. This entails a considerable reorganisation of most current social security systems mainly unemployment insurance, employment protection, pension systems, household work and life-long learning. We advocate an integrated view of employment protection and unemployment insurance systems which yields three major types of employment insurance systems in the OECD (comprehensive institutional data base in Appendix). Subsequently we discuss major recent changes in unemployment insurance systems throughout the OECD in view of their contribution towards the development of an Employment Insurance. Despite severe financial constraints on national levels, decentralisation and regionalisation of provision gives a new flavour to the ambitious goal of a right to work and its implementation.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin, Germany|
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ntj:journl:v:43:y:1990:i:no._1:p:1-22 is not listed on IDEAS
- José A. F. Machado & Pedro Portugal & Pedro S. Raposo, 2010. "Joblessness," Working Papers w201033, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Schömann, Klaus & Kruppe, Thomas & Oschmiansky, Heidi, 1998. "Beschäftigungsdynamik und Arbeitslosigkeit in der Europäischen Union," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 98-203, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Pechman, Joseph A. & Engelhardt, Gary V., 1990. "The Income Tax Treatment of the Family: An International Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Schmid, Günther, 1998. "Transitional labour markets: A new European employment strategy," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 98-206, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Saul J. Blaustein, 1993. "Unemployment Insurance in the United States: The First Half Century," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number uius, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzblpe:fsi00201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.