Readjusting the social democratic welfare state in Denmark 1973 - 2003
As a social democratic welfare state, Denmark has offered universal and generous benefits promoting equality and diminishing stigmatisation; provision is almost entirely taxfinanced and public services play an important role. Consequently, welfare state spending has been traditionally high. Thus, one would expect that globalisation and low economic growth will threaten this welfare state arrangement. However, the example of Denmark shows that high public expenditure on the welfare state could be conserved. Albeit, in the last decade this small country in the North of Europe has gained much attention as role model for successful welfare state restructuring. The question is thus, how did Denmark readjust its welfare state to the changed environment? Therefore the present paper focuses on policy developments in four major welfare programmes: health care, labour market, old-age pensions and family since the 1970s. By comparatively contrasting these developments the paper is furthermore able to identify patterns in the process of readjusting the Danish welfare state.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Parkallee 39, 28209 Bremen|
Web page: http://www.sfb597.uni-bremen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ganghof, Steffen, 2005. "High Taxes in Hard Times: How Denmark Built and Maintained a Huge Income Tax," MPIfG Discussion Paper 05/5, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Green-Pedersen, Christoffer, 2001. "Minority governments and party politics: The political and institutional background to the Danish Miracle," MPIfG Discussion Paper 01/1, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Donald O. Parsons & Torben Tranaes & Helene Bie Lilleør, 2003.
"Voluntary Public Unemployment Insurance,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1010, CESifo Group Munich.
- Donald O. Parsons & Torben Tranæs & Helene Bie Lilleør, 1999. "Voluntary Public Unemployment Insurance," EPRU Working Paper Series 03-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Jun 2003.
- Parsons, Donald O. & Tranæs, Torben & Lilleør, Helene Bie, 2015. "Voluntary Public Unemployment Insurance," IZA Discussion Papers 8783, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Donald O. Parsons & Torben Tranaes & Helene Bie Lilleør, 2015. "Voluntary Public Unemployment Insurance," CESifo Working Paper Series 5181, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb597:40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.