Semiparametric regression analysis under imputation for missing response data
We develop inference tools in a semiparametric regression model with missing response data. A semiparametric regression imputation estimator and an empirical likelihood based one for the mean of the response variable are defined. Both the estimators are proved to be asymptotically normal, with asymptotic variances estimated with Jackknife method. The empirical likelihood method is developed. It is shown that when missing responses are imputed using the semiparametric regression method the empirical log-likelihood is asymptotically a scaled chi-square variable or a weighted sum of chi-square variables with unknown weights in the absence of auxiliary information or in the presence of auxiliary information. An adjusted empirical log-likelihood ratio, which is asymptotically standard chi-square, is obtained. Also, a bootstrap empirical log-likelihood ratio is also derived and its distribution is used to approximate that of the imputed empirical log-likelihood ratio. A simulation study is conducted to compare the imputed, adjusted and bootstrap empirical likelihood with the normal approximation based methods in terms of coverage accuracies and average lengths of confidence intervals. Based on biases and standard errors, a comparison is also made by simulation between the proposed two estimators. The simulation indicates that the empirical likelihood methods developed perform competitively and the use of auxiliary information provides improved inference.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jinyong Hahn, 1998. "On the Role of the Propensity Score in Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 315-332, March.
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000.
"The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton & J Nielsen, 2000. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Qihua Wang, 2002. "Empirical Likelihood-based Inference in Linear Models with Missing Data," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 563-576.
- Li, Qi, 2000. "Efficient Estimation of Additive Partially Linear Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1073-92, November.
- Newey, W.K. & Powell, J.L. & Walker, J.R., 1990.
"Semiparametric Estimation Of Selection Models: Some Empirical Results,"
9001, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L & Walker, James R, 1990. "Semiparametric Estimation of Selection Models: Some Empirical Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 324-28, May.
- Qihua Wang, 2002. "Empirical likelihood-based inference in linear errors-in-covariables models with validation data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 345-358, June.
- Keisuke Hirano & Guido W. Imbens & Geert Ridder, 2000.
"Efficient Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Using the Estimated Propensity Score,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keisuke Hirano & Guido W. Imbens & Geert Ridder, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Using the Estimated Propensity Score," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1161-1189, 07.
- Guido Imbens, 2000. "Efficient Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Using the Estimated Propensity Score," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1166, Econometric Society.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Rice, John, 1986. "Convergence rates for partially splined models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 203-208, June.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb373:20026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.