Should next generation access networks fall within the scope of universal service? A EU 27 perspective
The review of the Universal Service Obligation (USO) has recently been debated in the European Union (EU). Under discussion there was the extension of the current universal service definition to include broadband access, for which some theoretical and empirical support exists. In fact the determinants of information access, which are modified by market liberalization and technological developments, challenge the traditional definition of universal service and question whether there are new frontiers for the USO in the EU. This paper looks at the origins, the theoretical arguments for, and the empirical basis of the USO in the light of the ongoing debate in the EU, and links these arguments to technological development and changing demand conditions in European broadband markets. The authors predict the inclusion of a wider set of services based on Next Generation Access networks in the EU's new regulatory approach, although in November 2011 the European Union has denied this inclusion.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mueller, Milton, 1993. "Universal service in telephone history : A reconstruction," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 352-369, July.
- Morten FALCH & Anders HENTEN, 2009. "Achieving Universal Access to Broadband," Informatica Economica, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(2), pages 166-174.
- Nucciarelli, Alberto & Sadowski, Bert M. & Achard, Paola O., 2010.
"Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 513-527, October.
- Alberto Nucciarelli & Bert M. Sadowski & Paola O. Achard, 2010. "Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy," Working Papers 10-03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised May 2010.
- Huigen, Jos & Cave, Martin, 2008. "Regulation and the promotion of investment in next generation networks--A European dilemma," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 713-721, December.
- Jorge Infante & Ramon Sagarra & Carlos Macian & Miquel Oliver, 2009. "Publicâ€“private partnership in FTTX passive infrastructure deployment: the 22@BCN case," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 327-342.
- Czernich, Nina & Falck, Oliver & Kretschmer, Tobias & Wößmann, Ludger, 2011.
"Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20033, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Erik Bohlin & Orada Teppayayon, 2009. "Broadband universal service: A future path for Europe?," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 275-298.
- Ruhle, Ernst-Olav & Brusic, Igor & Kittl, Jörg & Ehrler, Matthias, 2011. "Next Generation Access (NGA) supply side interventions—An international comparison," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 794-803.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Sharkey, William, 1999.
"The Natural Monopoly Test Reconsidered: An Engineering Process-Based Approach to Empirical Analysis in Telecommunications,"
IDEI Working Papers
91, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Sharkey, W. W., 2002. "The natural monopoly test reconsidered: an engineering process-based approach to empirical analysis in telecommunications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 435-459, April.
- Lundborg, Martin & Ruhle, Ernst-Olav & Bahr, Christian, 2010. "Discounts and price discrimination in the Telecommunications Regulation of NGA Networks," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 23, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- H. Cremer & F. Gasmi & A. Grimaud & J. J. Laffont, 2001. "Universal Service: An economic perspective," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(1), pages 5-43, 03.
- Alleman, James & Rappoport, Paul & Banerjee, Aniruddha, 0. "Universal service: A new definition?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 86-91, February.
- Gómez-Barroso, José Luis & Feijóo, Claudio, 2010. "A conceptual framework for public-private interplay in the telecommunications sector," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 487-495, October.
- repec:dgr:tuecis:wpaper:1003 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse12:60393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.