A dynamic programming approach to constrained portfolios
This paper studies constrained portfolio problems that may involve constraints on the probability or the expected size of a shortfall of wealth or consumption. Our first contribution is that we solve the problems by dynamic programming, which is in contrast to the existing literature that applies the martingale method. More precisely, we construct the non-separable value function by formalizing the optimal constrained terminal wealth to be a (conjectured) contingent claim on the optimal non-constrained terminal wealth. This is relevant by itself, but also opens up the opportunity to derive new solutions to constrained problems. As a second contribution, we thus derive new results for non-strict constraints on the shortfall of inter-mediate wealth and/or consumption.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branke, J. & Scheckenbach, B. & Stein, M. & Deb, K. & Schmeck, H., 2009. "Portfolio optimization with an envelope-based multi-objective evolutionary algorithm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(3), pages 684-693, December.
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Fernando Zapatero, 2004. "Introduction to the Economics and Mathematics of Financial Markets," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262532654, June.
- Çanakoglu, Ethem & Özekici, Süleyman, 2010. "Portfolio selection in stochastic markets with HARA utility functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 520-536, March.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001.
"Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Zhou, Zhongquan, 1996. " Equilibrium Analysis of Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1379-1403, September.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Basak, Suleyman & Chabakauri, Georgy, 2009.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7256, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fu, Chenpeng & Lari-Lavassani, Ali & Li, Xun, 2010. "Dynamic mean-variance portfolio selection with borrowing constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 312-319, January.
- Tepla, Lucie, 2001. "Optimal investment with minimum performance constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1629-1645, October.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alex & Teplá, Lucie, 2005.
"Risk Management with Benchmarking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5187, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Osorio, Maria A. & Gulpinar, Nalan & Rustem, Berc, 2008. "A mixed integer programming model for multistage mean-variance post-tax optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(2), pages 451-480, March.
- Bjarne Astrup Jensen & Carsten Sørensen, 2001. "Paying for Minimum Interest Rate Guarantees: Who Should Compensate Who?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(2), pages 183-211.
- Crama, Y. & Schyns, M., 2003. "Simulated annealing for complex portfolio selection problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 546-571, November.
- Hans FÃllmer & Peter Leukert, 1999. "Quantile hedging," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 251-273.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:201207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.