Stochastic frontier analysis by means of maximum likelihood and the method of moments
The stochastic frontier analysis (Aigner et al., 1977, Meeusen and van de Broeck, 1977) is widely used to estimate individual efficiency scores. The basic idea lies in the introduction of an additive error term consisting of a noise and an inefficiency term. Most often the assumption of a half-normal distributed inefficiency term is applied, but other distributions are also discussed in relevant literature. The natural estimation method seems to be Maximum Likelihood (ML) estimation because of the parametric assumptions. But simulation results obtained for the half normal model indicate that a method of moments approach (MOM) (Olson et al., 1980) is superior for small and medium sized samples in combination with inefficiency not strongly dominating noise (Coelli, 1995). In this paper we provide detailed simulation results comparing the two estimation approaches for both the half-normal and the exponential approach to inefficiency. Based on the simulation results we obtain decision rules for the choice of the superior estimation approach. Both estimation methods, ML and MOM, are applied to a sample of German commercial banks based on the Bankscope database for estimation of cost efficiency scores.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Altunbas, Yener & Liu, Ming-Hau & Molyneux, Philip & Seth, Rama, 2000. "Efficiency and risk in Japanese banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1605-1628, October.
- George E. Battese & Lennart Hjalmarsson & Almas Heshmati, 2000.
"Efficiency of labour use in the Swedish banking industry: a stochastic frontier approach,"
Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 623-640.
- Battese, George E. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1998. "Efficiency of Labour Use in the Swedish Banking Industry: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 289, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 13 Apr 1999.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, December.
- RITTER, Christian & SIMAR, Léopold, 1994. "Another Look at the American Electrical Utility Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1994007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Altunbas, Y. & Chakravarty, S. P., 2001. "Frontier cost functions and bank efficiency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 233-240, August.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in UK and Irish Credit Institutions," Research Technical Papers 3/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Olson, Jerome A. & Schmidt, Peter & Waldman, Donald M., 1980. "A Monte Carlo study of estimators of stochastic frontier production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 67-82, May.
- Trevor Fitzpatrick & Kieran McQuinn, 2005. "Labour Cost Efficiency in UK and Irish Credit Institutions," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(1), pages 45-66.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Efthymios Tsionas, 2008. "Scale and efficiency measurement using a semiparametric stochastic frontier model: evidence from the U.S. commercial banks," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 585-602, June.
- Christian Ritter & Léopold Simar, 1997.
"Pitfalls of Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Models,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 167-182, May.
- RITTER, Christian & SIMAR, Leopold, 1994. "Pitfalls of Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1994041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ritter, C. & Simar, L., "undated". "Pitfalls of normal-gamma stochastic frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1272, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Shrimal Perera & Michael Skully & J. Wickramanayake, 2007. "Cost Efficiency in South Asian Banking: The Impact of Bank Size, State Ownership and Stock Exchange Listings-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 7(1-2), pages 35-60.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1996. "Efficiency and technical progress in banking Empirical results for a panel of German cooperative banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1003-1023, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp2:200819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.