Fuzzy Price-Quality Ratio Procurement under Incomplete Information
We analyse a procurement auction in which sellers are distinguished on the basis of the ratios of quality per unit of money they offer. Sellers are privately informed on the quality of the technology or good they offer. We assume that the procurer cannot perfectly identify the best offer. Thus, with positive (and decreasing) probability, the second, third, etc. best ratio offered is selected as the winner of the auction. We model the decision process as based on a general noisy ranking of offers. We show that, although the problem seems to be analytically intractable in general, there exists a simple symmetric pure-strategy equilibrium, provided that the procurerâ€™s ranking technology employs the right degree of noisiness.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Gershkov & Jianpei Li & Paul Schweinzer, 2009. "Efficient tournaments within teams," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(1), pages 103-119.
- Maria Arbatskaya & Hugo Mialon, 2005. "Two-activity Contests," Emory Economics 0527, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Garfinkel, Michelle R. & Skaperdas, Stergios, 2007.
"Economics of Conflict: An Overview,"
Handbook of Defense Economics,
- Luis Corchon & Matthias Dahm, 2007.
"Foundations For Contest Success Functions,"
Economics Working Papers
we070401, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Leonid Polishchuk & Alexander Tonis, 2013. "Endogenous contest success functions: a mechanism design approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 271-297, January.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Shogren, Jason F., 1998. "Asymmetric information contests," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 645-665, November.
- Wasser, Cédric, 2010.
"Rent-seeking Contests under Symmetric and Asymmetric Information,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
311, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Luis C. Corchon, 2007.
"The theory of contests : a survey,"
Economics Working Papers
we075126, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009.
"When the highest bidder loses the auction: theory and evidence from public procurement,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
717, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009. "When the Highest Bidder Loses the Auction: Theory and Evidence from Public Procurement," 2009 Meeting Papers 130, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- John Asker & Estelle Cantillon, 2008.
"Properties of Scoring Auctions,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/172674, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David A. Malueg & Andrew J. Yates, 2004. "Sent Seeking With Private Values," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 119(1_2), pages 161-178, 04.
- Christian Ewerhart, 2010. "Rent-seeking contests with independent private values," IEW - Working Papers 490, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Juan David Prada-Sarmiento, 2010. "Uncertainty in conflicts," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007713, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Ryvkin, Dmitry, 2010. "Contests with private costs: Beyond two players," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 558-567, December.
- Wärneryd, Karl, 2000.
"Information in Conflicts,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
388, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Wärneryd, Karl, 2001.
"Information in conflicts
[Information in Konflikten]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 01-11, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Wärneryd, Karl, 2001. "Information in conflicts
- Lambert Schoonbeek & Barbara Winkel, 2006. "Activity and inactivity in a rent-seeking contest with private information," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 123-132, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:12/26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.