Self-similar models in risk theory
This Ph.D. thesis is concerned with self-similar processes. In Chapter 2 we describe the classes of transformations leading from self-similar to stationary processes, and conversely. The relationship is used in Chapter 3 to characterize stable symmetric self-similar processes via their minimal integral representation. This leads to a unique decomposition of a symmetric stable self-similar process into three independent parts. The class of such processes appears to be quite broad and can stand as a basis of different risk models. In Chapter 4 we give examples of applications of self-similar processes in insurance risk modelling. In Chapter 5 we illustrate a test of self-similarity (namely variance-time plots) on DJIA index data in order to justify the use of self-similar processes in financial modelling. Last but not least we propose an alternative model for stock price movements incorporating a martingale which generates the same filtration as fractional Brownian motion.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Wybrzeze Wyspianskiego 27, 50-370 Wroclaw|
Web page: http://prac.im.pwr.wroc.pl/~hugo
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Furrer, Hansjorg & Michna, Zbigniew & Weron, Aleksander, 1997. "Stable Lévy motion approximation in collective risk theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 97-114, September.
- Krzysztof Burnecki & Jan Rosinski & Aleksander Weron, 1997. "Spectral representation and structure of self-similar processes," HSC Research Reports HSC/97/03, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Aleksander Weron & Szymon Mercik & Rafal Weron, 1998.
"Origins of the scaling behaviour in the dynamics of financial data,"
HSC Research Reports
HSC/98/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Aleksander & Mercik, Szymon & Weron, Rafal, 1999. "Origins of the scaling behaviour in the dynamics of financial data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 264(3), pages 562-569.
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Krzysztof Burnecki & Makoto Maejima & Aleksander Weron, 1997. "The Lamperti transformation for self-similar processes," HSC Research Reports HSC/97/02, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 1997. "Arbitrage with Fractional Brownian Motion," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 95-105.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wuu:wpaper:hsc9803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.