A topological approach to the Arrow impossibility theorem when individual preferences are weak orders (forcoming in ``Applied Mathematics and Compuation''(Elsevier))
We will present a topological approach to the Arrow impossibility theorem of social choice theory that there exists no binary social choice rule (which we will call a social welfare function) which satisfies the conditions of transitivity, independence of irrelevant alternatives (IIA), Pareto principle and non-existence of dictator.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuliy M. Baryshnikov, 1997. "Topological and discrete social choice: in a search of a theory," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 199-209.
- Paras Mehta, 1997. "Topological methods in social choice: an overview," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 233-243.
- Luc Lauwers, 1999.
"Topological Social Choice,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9912, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Wilson, Robert, 1972. "Social choice theory without the Pareto Principle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 478-486, December.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1979. "On fixed point theorems and social choice paradoxes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 347-351.
- Luc Lauwers, 2004. "Topological manipulators form an ultrafilter," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 437-445, 06.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1982. "The topological equivalence of the pareto condition and the existence of a dictator," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 223-233, March.
- Gleb Koshevoy, 1997. "Homotopy properties of Pareto aggregation rules," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 295-302.
- Gibbard, Allan, 1973. "Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A General Result," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 587-601, July.
- Weinberger, Shmuel, 2004. "On the topological social choice model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 377-384, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0506013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.