Estimating and testing preferences for consumption, work hours and savings using the PSID, the profit function and the true dynamic budget constraint
Five waves of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID), 1985-1989 including both wealth supplements, are used to construct an intertemporal budget constraint for selected single headed households. A new functional form of the dual consumer profit function rationalizing consumption, labor supply and savings is specified, estimated and used to test commonly maintained separability hypotheses. Both consumption- labor and time separability are rejected. Cross-price Frisch elasticities are found not to equal zero and this in turns affects all estimates of consumption, labor supply and saving elasticities.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - word doc; prepared on Windows 2000; pages: 46; figures: 5. Word 2002 document|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Blackorby, Charles & Primont, Daniel & Russell, R. Robert, 1977. "On testing separability restrictions with flexible functional forms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 195-209, March.
- Cooper, Russel J. & McLaren, Keith R. & Wong, Gary K. K., 2001. "On the empirical exploitation of consumers' profit functions in static analyses," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 181-187, August.
- David L. Ryan & Terence J. Wales, 1999. "Flexible And Semiflexible Consumer Demands With Quadratic Engel Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 277-287, May.
- Barnett, William A & Hahm, Jeong Ho, 1994. "Financial-Firm Production of Monetary Services: A Generalized Symmetric Barnett Variable-Profit-Function Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 33-46, January.
- Barnett, William A, 1983. "New Indices of Money Supply and the Flexible Laurent Demand System," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(1), pages 7-23, January.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-43, May.
- Altonji, Joseph G, 1986. "Intertemporal Substitution in Labor Supply: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S176-S215, June.
- Cooper, Russel J., 1994. "On the exploitation of additional duality relationships in consumer demand analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 73-77.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpmi:0312005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.