Speculation in First-Price Auctions with Resale
We analyze first-price auctions with two asymmetric bidders, where the winner can offer the good for resale to the loser. One bidder has a private value for the good, the other bidder - the speculator - has zero value. We show that, independently of the resale market rules, the speculator's expected profit equals zero. Nevertheless, the opportunity for resale can create a role for an active speculator, destroy the efficiency of the auction, and increase the initial seller's expected revenue.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garratt, Rod & Troger, Thomas E, 2003.
"Speculation in Second-Price Auctions with Resale,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0bj7w3z6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Troger, 2003. "Speculation in Second-Price Auctions with Resale," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000246, David K. Levine.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Troger, 2003. "Speculation in Second-Price Auctions with Resale," Game Theory and Information 0305003, EconWPA.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1978. "Optimal Auction Design," Discussion Papers 362, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Auctions versus Negotiations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 180-194, March.
- Krishna, Vijay, 2002. "Auction Theory," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780124262973.
- Haile, Philip A., 2003. "Auctions with private uncertainty and resale opportunities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 72-110, January.
- Gupta, Madhurima & Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First price auctions with resale," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-185, August.
- Haile,P.A., 1999. "Auctions with resale," Working papers 33, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)