Banking in transition
The bank as "general store" is slowly being replaced by the bank as conglomerate. This is because improvements in information technology and market efficiency are changing the way the activities of financial intermediaries are performed. The imperatives of cost minimization and competition have dictated that activities that were once performed together in one physical place by a few people are now performed separately by specialists. It is natural in this environment for entrepreneurs to form conglomerates of these various business units in order to fulfill the role once played by the bank as general store. The question is just how many will be absorbed as branches or affiliates of large organizations. George French's work addresses two questions: What are the reasons for banks' declining market share, and are further declines inevitable?
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 1999|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 43; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1986. "Term premiums and default premiums in money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 175-196, September.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983. "Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- Franklin R. Edwards, 1993. "Financial markets in transition; or, the decline of commercial banking," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 5-69.
- Kenneth M. Wright, 1991. "The structure, conduct, and regulation of the life insurance industry," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 35, pages 73-116.
- Edwards, F.R., 1993. "Financial Markets in Transition -- or the Decline of Commercial Banking," Papers 93-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9906005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.