Tariff Structure In A Small Open Economy: A Theoretical Analysis
Developing countries have been facing substantial adjustment costs in their endeavor in implementing trade reform. To lessen the adjustment costs of trade reform and to diffuse political support for protection a uniform tariff policy has often been recommended. The present paper examines the efficacy of this policy in terms of a 3„e4 specific factor full-employment structure reasonable for a developing economy. It shows that whether a symmetric tariff structure would be able to protect all the import-competing sectors crucially depends on the economy¡¦s trade pattern. The paper is then extended to include Harris-Todaro type unemployment of unskilled labour. In this framework also the implications of the uniform tariffs and then welfare effects of tariffs on one sector have been studied. Finally, the consequences of tariffs on urban unemployment of unskilled labour have been examined.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukherjee, Ujjaini, 2002.
"Removal of protectionism, foreign investment and welfare in a model of informal sector,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 101-116, January.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukherjee, 2005. "Removal Of Protectionism, Foreign Investment And Welfare In A Model Of Informal Sector," International Trade 0511009, EconWPA.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2002. "Economic liberalization and welfare in a model with an informal sector," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 143-172, March.
- Hamid Beladi & Sugata Marjit, 1996. "An Analysis of Rural-Urban Migration and Protection," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 930-40, November.
- repec:idb:wpaper:4020 is not listed on IDEAS
- Motta, Massimo, 1992. "Multinational firms and the tariff-jumping argument : A game theoretic analysis with some unconventional conclusions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1557-1571, December.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Rodrik, Dani, 1993.
"Political-Economy Arguments for a Uniform Tariff,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 685-703, August.
- Sugata Marjit, 1993.
"Uniform tariffs in general equilibrium —A simple model,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 189-196, June.
- Marjit, S., 1992. "Uniform Tariffs in General Equilibrium-A Simple Model," RCER Working Papers 320, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Openness and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries: The Latin American Challenge to East Asian Conventional Wisdom," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 33-57, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0511006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.