Firm Size and Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment
This paper studies the locational determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) by Japanese manufacturing firms in seven Asian countries by utilizing the 1993 survey data. I show that different size- groups of firms react to different factors in the host country in making the foreign investment decisions. Low labor cost and sufficient infrastructure encourage small firms to invest in a certain country while, for large firms, market size of the host country and strategic considerations (e.g. whether competitors invested in the country or not) are most important for their locational decisions. Overall, availability of cheap labor is not necessarily an important factor for Japanese FDI in Asia.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; pages: 24 ; figures: Included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mody, Ashoka & Yuko Kinoshita, 1997. "The usefulness of private and public information for foreign investment decisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1733, The World Bank.
- Lall, Rajiv, 1986. "Third world multinationals : The characteristics of Indian firms investing abroad," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 381-397, March.
- Len Trevino & John Daniels, 1994. "An empirical assessment of the preconditions of Japanese manufacturing foreign direct investment in the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 576-599, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:3:p:797-817 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 1992. "Determinants of Taiwan's direct foreign investment : The case of a newly industrializing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 397-407, October.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Grubaugh, Stephen G, 1987. "Determinants of Direct Foreign Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 149-52, February.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 1985. "Japanese and American Direct Investment in Asia : A Comparative Analysis," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 26(1), pages 1-35, June.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:0012006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.