The Real Interest Differential Model after Twenty Years
It has been twenty years since Frankel (1979) offered the classic empirical support for the Dornbusch (1976) overshooting model against the simple monetary approach model, and almost that long since Driskill and Sheffrin (1981) uncovered some important inconsistencies between Frankel’s theoretical framework and his empirical implementation. Frankel’s RID model nevertheless spawned a huge lit-erature in international monetary economics. In this paper, we replicate and update the Frankel (1979) and Driskill and Sheffrin (1981) results, in order to offer a retrospective and a reëvaluation of this lit-erature. We also explain why the model estimated by Driskill and Sheffrin (1981) cannot underpin a critique of Frankel (1979), a point which is not generally recognized. While specialists in international finance generally recognize that the initial promise of Frankel’s research has not been kept, we believe that many will be surprised nevertheless by our stark findings. JEL: F31, F40, C13
|Date of creation:||29 Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - PDF; prepared on PC with TrueTeX and Acrobat 4; to print on HP; pages: 27 ; figures: included. Comments appreciated.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Selover, David D., 1987. "Cointegration and models of exchange rate determination," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 43-51.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- David Backus, 1984.
"Empirical Models of the Exchange Rate: Separating the Wheat from the Chaff,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 824-46, November.
- David Backus, 1982. "Empirical Models of the Exchange Rate: Separating the Wheat from the Chaff," Working Papers 463, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Isaac, Alan G., 1998. "Risk premia and overshooting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 359-364, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Isaac, Alan G., 1996. "Mononic saddle-path dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 235-238, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:9907002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.