Trading Frequency and Event Study Test Specification
We examine the effects of thin trading on the specification of event study tests. Simu-lations of upper and lower tail tests are reported with and without variance increases on the event date across levels of trading volume. The traditional standardized test is mis-specified for thinly traded samples. If return variance is unlikely to increase, then Cor-rado’s rank test provides the best specification and power. With variance increases, the rank test is misspecificed. The Boehmer et al. standardized cross-sectional test is properly specified, but not powerful, for upper-tailed tests. Lower-tailed alternative hy-potheses can best be evaluated using the generalized sign test.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Word 6.0/7.0; prepared on Windows; to print on PostScript; pages: 37. Forthcoming in Journal of Banking and Finance.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://188.8.131.52|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maynes, Elizabeth & Rumsey, John, 1993. "Conducting event studies with thinly traded stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 145-157, February.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Campbell, Cynthia J. & Wesley, Charles E., 1993. "Measuring security price performance using daily NASDAQ returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 73-92, February.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Corrado, Charles J., 1989. "A nonparametric test for abnormal security-price performance in event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 385-395, August.
- Corrado, Charles J. & Zivney, Terry L., 1992. "The Specification and Power of the Sign Test in Event Study Hypothesis Tests Using Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 465-478, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:9610002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.