An Analysis of the Profitability, Risk and Growth Indicators of Banks Operating In Malta
The paper consolidates the summarised financial statements of the main banks operating in Malta during the year 2002, to form a Typical Large Bank and a Typical Small Bank. The rofitability, risk and growth prospects of the two institutions are analysed through Return on Equity decomposition and the use of other financial ratios. Various differences between large and small institutions emerge. In particular, larger institutions realised higher profitability and cost control; they were more capitalised in absolute terms and relied relatively less on interest income. Smaller institutions generated comparatively more revenue; they were more capitalised in relative terms, were relatively more provisioned against loan losses and held a higher proportion of liquid assets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Wright, April, 2002. "The impact of competition on the operations of foreign banks in Australia in the post-deregulation period," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 359-375.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Competition in the Changing World of Banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 535-547. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0507021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.