Wavelet timescales and conditional relationship between higher- order systematic co-moments and portfolio returns: evidence in Australian data
This paper investigates association between portfolio returns and higher-order systematic co-moments at different timescales obtained through wavelet multi-scaling- a technique that decomposes a given return series into different timescales enabling investigation at different return intervals. For some portfolios, the relative risk positions indicated by systematic co-moments at higher timescales is different from those revealed in raw returns. A strong positive (negative) linear association between beta and co-kurtosis and portfolio return in the up (down) market is observed in raw returns and at different timescales. The beta risk is priced in the up and down markets and the co-kurtosis is not. Co-skewness does not appear to be linearly associated with portfolio returns even after the up and down market split and is not priced.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S. P. & Wasley, Charles, 1989. "The relation between the return interval and betas : Implications for the size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 79-100, June.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
- Gordon, Myron J & Paradis, G E & Rorke, C H, 1972. "Experimental Evidence on Alternative Portfolio Decision Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 107-118, March.
- Pettengill, Glenn N. & Sundaram, Sridhar & Mathur, Ike, 1995. "The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Faff, Robert W., 1997. "Testing the conditional CAPM and the effect of intervaling: A note," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 527-537, December.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Stephen E, 1999.
"Modelling Emerging Market Risk Premia Using Higher Moments,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 271-296, October.
- Hwang, S. & Satchell, S. E., 1998. "Modelling Emerging Market Risk Premia using Higher Moments," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9806, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Stephen Satchell & Soosung Hwang, 1999. "Modelling Emerging Market Risk Premia Using Higher Moments," Working Papers wp99-17, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-455, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0409056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.