Nonparametric Testing of the High-Frequency Efficiency of the 1997 Asian Foreign Exchange Markets
For the first time, non-parametric statistical tests, originally developed by Sherry (1992) to test the efficiency of information processing in nervous systems, are used to ascertain if the Asian FX rates followed random walks. The stationarity and serial independence of the price changes are tested on minute-by-minute data for nine currencies for the period from January 1, 1997 to December 30, 1997. Tested were the Thai baht, Indonesian rupiah, Malaysian ringgit, Philippines' peso, Singapore dollar, Taiwan dollar and the Hong Kong dollar, with the Japanese Yen and German Deutschmark as benchmarks (The U.S. Dollar is the base currency). The efficiency of these FX markets before and after the onset of the Asian currency turmoil (i.e., January 1 - June 30, 1997 and July 1 - December 30, 1997) are compared. The Thai baht, Malaysian ringgit, Indonesian rupiah and Singapore dollar exhibited non-stationary behavior during the entire year, and gave evidence of a trading regime break, while the Phillipines' peso, Taiwan dollar, Yen and Deutschmark remained stationary (The Hong Kong dollar was pegged). However, each half-year regime showed stationarity by itself, indicating stable and nonchaotic trading regimes for all currencies, despite the high volatilities, except the Malaysian ringgit, which exhibited non-stationarity in the second half of 1997. The Thai baht traded nonstationarily in the first half of 1997, but stationarily in the second half, while the Taiwan dollar reversed that trading pattern. Regarding Sherry's four serial independence tests of differential spectrum, relative price changes, temporal trading windows of at least 20 minutes long and price change category transitions: none of the currencies exhibited complete independence. Thus no Asian currency market - including the Yen - exhibited complete efficiency in 1997 regarding both stationarity and independence, in particular when compared with the highly efficient Deutschmark. But, remarkably, the Phillippines' peso remained as efficient as the Japanese Yen throughout 1997.
|Date of creation:||13 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf. Los, Cornelis Albertus, 'Nonparametric Testing of the High-Frequency Efficiency of the 1997 Asian Foreign Exchange Markets' (August 1998).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://126.96.36.199|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:att:wimass:9208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark D. Flood, 1991. "Microstructure theory and the foreign exchange market," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 52-70.
- Epps, Thomas W & Epps, Mary Lee, 1976. "The Stochastic Dependence of Security Price Changes and Transaction Volumes: Implications for the Mixture-of-Distributions Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 305-21, March.
- Christopher J. Neely & Paul A. Weller & Robert Dittmar, 1997.
"Is technical analysis in the foreign exchange market profitable? a genetic programming approach,"
1996-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Neely, Christopher & Weller, Paul & Dittmar, Rob, 1997. "Is Technical Analysis in the Foreign Exchange Market Profitable? A Genetic Programming Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 405-426, December.
- Dittmar, Robert & Neely, Christopher J & Weller, Paul, 1996. "Is Technical Analysis in the Foreign Exchange Market Profitable? A Genetic Programming Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan, 1990. " Evidence of Predictable Behavior of Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 881-98, July.
- Kim, Myung Jig & Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1991.
"Mean Reversion in Stock Prices? A Reappraisal of the Empirical Evidence,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 515-28, May.
- Myung Jig Kim & Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices? A Reappraisal of the Empirical Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Domowitz, Ian, 1993. " Trading Patterns and Prices in the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1421-43, September.
- Mankiw, N.G. & Romer, D. & Shapiro, M.D., 1989.
"Stock Market Forecastability And Volatility: A Statistical Appraisal,"
89-21, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Shapiro, Matthew D, 1991. "Stock Market Forecastability and Volatility: A Statistical Appraisal," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 455-77, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David H. Romer & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1989. "Stock Market Forecastability and Volatility: A Statistical Appraisal," NBER Working Papers 3154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loretan, Mico & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1994.
"Testing the covariance stationarity of heavy-tailed time series: An overview of the theory with applications to several financial datasets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 211-248, January.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Ramsey, James B. & Zhang, Zhifeng, 1997. "The analysis of foreign exchange data using waveform dictionaries," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 341-372, December.
- Goodhart, Charles & Chang, Yuanchen & Payne, Richard, 1997. "Calibrating an algorithm for estimating transactions from FXFX exchange rate quotes," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 921-930, December.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Testing for covariance stationarity in stock market data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 165-170, June.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0409040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.